The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, since the beginning of the semester, i noticed that we had a 3" long wolf spider living above our mailbox at my apt. I was cool with it and it was cool with me, keeping insects out of the mail and all (especially keeping those shifty mail carriers honest). The other day, i noticed that "mailbox spider" as i affectionately called it, wasn't home. It wasn't anywhere to be found in its web or on the wall or any of its normal hiding spots. I figured it was out on a hunt or had headed to the interior of the apt complex for warmth. Needless to say, i pretty much forgot about mailbox spider until 20 minutes ago when i hopped into the shower to find that i no longer have a mailbox spider. I now have a shower spider. I'm cool with spiders as long as they don't sneak up on me, but when they sneak up on me while i'm naked, i'm, needless to say, not too thrilled. That had to be the most awkward shower ever, trying to keep an eye on the spider and cover up so i wasn't indecent to it either. :hihi:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Aerosol anything (hairspray is the best) and a lighter is a fun way to deal with spiders.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Aerosol anything (hairspray is the best) and a lighter is a fun way to deal with spiders.
ROFL but just make sure you have nothing flammable around the spider while you watch it burn;)

Oh god I hate spiders...I'll be watching this thread for tips on how to get rid of spiders.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There is a REALLY easy (and safe) way to get rid of them without touching them or anything. I'm sure most people are familiar with "Dust Off." This stuff is advertised as being canned air manufactured by Falcon. It is really compressed propellants like alcohol. In this case it is difluorotheane (anything "ane" or "ylene" means an alcohol).

Sprayed normally (upright) it works as designed. But when you turn it upside down it sprays the alcohol out in a vaporous form. These vapors freeze anything the touch instantly, but the fumes dissipate in seconds.

I am not sure if it is the fumes or the cold that kills the insects but we do this at work so we don't have to smash them.

I am certainly not saying to spray yourself with it, but you CAN spray a short burst (1/2 a second) at your fingertips and you will get them covered in frost. Do NOT spray it onto yourself for more than a second or so or you WILL get minor frostbite.

Edit: Also, while the vapors are fresh they are extremely flammable, but they dissipate quickly.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
It's bad luck to kill spiders. If you kill a spider the next one that you run into will bite you. I prefer to get them back outside by trapping them with a mayo jar or similar container. To keep them from jumping out while heading for the door I slide whatever piece of paper or cardboard might be handy between the wall and the rim of the jar before picking it up.

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
It is really compressed propellants like alcohol. In this case it is difluorotheane (anything "ane" or "ylene" means an alcohol).
Not entirely true. Difluoroethane is not similar to an alcohol in any way. An "ane" or "ylene" ending does not indicate that it is an alcohol at all. You may be thinking of the "ol" ending (i.e. ethanol, propanol, etc).

On another note, I have had an issue with Lady Birds lately. I catch about 2-3 on a daily basis, and there are at least 10 at any given time in the men's washroom in the lab I work in.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
There is a REALLY easy (and safe) way to get rid of them without touching them or anything. I'm sure most people are familiar with "Dust Off." This stuff is advertised as being canned air manufactured by Falcon. It is really compressed propellants like alcohol. In this case it is difluorotheane (anything "ane" or "ylene" means an alcohol).

Sprayed normally (upright) it works as designed. But when you turn it upside down it sprays the alcohol out in a vaporous form. These vapors freeze anything the touch instantly, but the fumes dissipate in seconds.

I am not sure if it is the fumes or the cold that kills the insects but we do this at work so we don't have to smash them.

I am certainly not saying to spray yourself with it, but you CAN spray a short burst (1/2 a second) at your fingertips and you will get them covered in frost. Do NOT spray it onto yourself for more than a second or so or you WILL get minor frostbite.

Edit: Also, while the vapors are fresh they are extremely flammable, but they dissipate quickly.
So does the spider just die or freeze? It'd be cool to see it freeze up:icon_twis

It's bad luck to kill spiders. If you kill a spider the next one that you run into will bite you. I prefer to get them back outside by trapping them with a mayo jar or similar container. To keep them from jumping out while heading for the door I slide whatever piece of paper or cardboard might be handy between the wall and the rim of the jar before picking it up.
I've killed many spiders before and never gotten bitten at all :/

·
Registered
283 Posts
If frost even forms it is gone by the time the spider hits the ground. When it does hit the ground it is just curled up as if it were sprayed with Raid or something. I think it would have to be the freeze that kills it because poisons usually take a few seconds at least.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So, since the beginning of the semester, i noticed that we had a 3" long wolf spider living above our mailbox at my apt. I was cool with it and it was cool with me, keeping insects out of the mail and all (especially keeping those shifty mail carriers honest). The other day, i noticed that "mailbox spider" as i affectionately called it, wasn't home. It wasn't anywhere to be found in its web or on the wall or any of its normal hiding spots. I figured it was out on a hunt or had headed to the interior of the apt complex for warmth. Needless to say, i pretty much forgot about mailbox spider until 20 minutes ago when i hopped into the shower to find that i no longer have a mailbox spider. I now have a shower spider. I'm cool with spiders as long as they don't sneak up on me, but when they sneak up on me while i'm naked, i'm, needless to say, not too thrilled. That had to be the most awkward shower ever, trying to keep an eye on the spider and cover up so i wasn't indecent to it either. :hihi:
lol it is that time of year hear in s.c. spiders are now coming inside i get the dreaded shower spider quite often i give them the "you don't f with me and i won't smash you " look and for the most part they don't "f" with me but on ocasion i get the "wake up i'm on your foot under your covers" spiders then all bets are off and i go ballistic but all in all i got scarier things to deal with than a spider

·
Tanks A'lot
341 Posts
i ran into a bunch of black widows last night. i was sweeping up real cobwebs in order to hang fake ones.....does that sound funny to anyone else?

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I actually sat on a wasp night before last when I went to bed. Missed the important parts by inches, but I still cried. :( Then I stayed up most of the night keeping an eye out for more. Make sure you check your bedding this time of year!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts