The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hahaha, seriously i'm so frustrated with this tank! how can i run two stable nano shrimp tanks and kill just about everything in my 29g?!?!?!

pulled 5 dead out today, 4 yesterday, ect...

**its mostly cherry shrimps dying, with a small amount of bee shrimp offing themselves but not as many**

they seem to be seizing until death:
http://youtu.be/Bw_tzimDeTE

so now, i'm going to beg, does anyone here have kids and would be open to trade some handmade kid clothing for shrimps? or possibly have a girlfriend/wife who loves weird clothes? i can't afford to buy new ones since my son and i lost child support last week bc my ex is dumb. check out my shop. sewoeno.com sorry if this isn't allowed. i'm desperate and my son is really sad too. he keeps coming in my room and saying 'died, died'

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
before getting more shrimp you need to try and figure out what went wrong so it wont happen again.

how long has the tank been set up before you put shrimp in, what kind of substrate, what kind of shrimp are you loosing?

what are the parameters?
gh, kh,ph, tds, ammo, nitrate, nitrite, tem?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
before getting more shrimp you need to try and figure out what went wrong so it wont happen again.

how long has the tank been set up before you put shrimp in, what kind of substrate, what kind of shrimp are you loosing?

what are the parameters?
gh, kh,ph, tds, ammo, nitrate, nitrite, tem?
i have other tanks i intended to fill, not this tank. i most likely will tear it down after they all pass, or move the live ones to another tank. tanks been up 5 months, added shrimp slowly the past two? floramax, mostly cherries and some regular bee shrimp.

gh - 12 but slowly adding r/o the past month
kh- 6
ph- for some reason i can't think what its at. 7.4 i think last i checked
tds- can't afford to buy one yet so i don't know.
am- 0
nitri- 0
nitrat- 0-10
temp- 72-74 depending on time of day

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes GH and KH are way high cor CRS CBS Snow white mischlings TB.... fine for NEOS or tigers.

Also in my experience when the sieze it is ammonia posioning...... Your test kit may be off
but its my neo's having the massive die off! i know the rest is to high for them.. i don't think my kit is off, i've had water tested at two other lfs and they say the exact.

·
Registered
533 Posts
did no one read?! i said its MOSTLY cherries dying! i've hardly lost bee's, i know its high for them but they are the ones surviving.
I don't see where you stated Cherries were the ones dying. Unless you are referring to a a previous thread, you need to link it or continue in that thread. People just trying to help here, no critizing going on, mostly suggestions and helpful info.

Do the water tests on your nano shirmp tanks match the one for your 29g? If so, maybe merge your 2 nano colonies (if you can) and place some of your cherries in the other nano and see how they fair.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this a second hand tank? You might have copper leeching into the water from the silicone. Or have you bought any plants recently from petco? or plants that say snail free?
actually yes to second hand and yes to petco, but i dont think they said snail free? i rinsed them all before putting them in.. the deaths just started badly about a week ago..

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
TKe the shrimp out. Replace all the water with half tap half ro to get the ph gh and kh down. And also the tds. Drip acclimate the shrimp for about 6-8 hours. Throw me back in might loose one or two after that but should be fine. I've never been able to keep neos in a gh and kh like that. Wayyyyy to high for my taste. When I had cherries I strived for a ph of 7 gh or 8 and kh of 2 with a tds of 210

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't see where you stated Cherries were the ones dying. Unless you are referring to a a previous thread, you need to link it or continue in that thread. People just trying to help here, no critizing going on, mostly suggestions and helpful info.

Do the water tests on your nano shirmp tanks match the one for your 29g? If so, maybe merge your 2 nano colonies (if you can) and place some of your cherries in the other nano and see how they fair.
i guess i wasn't clear in the original post, my bad i read my comment and thought i had written it in there. man oh man, i'd say i need my eyes checked but i just got new glasses last week. sorry i suck. i will test them all tonight and see how they match up... otherwise they all have shared plants and same water from this stand point, i'll check exactly whats different.

i think i may pull everything from this tank, put it in my 6g and wipe that tank down with cleaner and start over.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TKe the shrimp out. Replace all the water with half tap half ro to get the ph gh and kh down. And also the tds. Drip acclimate the shrimp for about 6-8 hours. Throw me back in might loose one or two after that but should be fine. I've never been able to keep neos in a gh and kh like that. Wayyyyy to high for my taste. When I had cherries I strived for a ph of 7 gh or 8 and kh of 2 with a tds of 210
i actually did about a 10g change since yesterday with a good half being r/o... i said screw acclimating, if they die at this point oh well. i'm so mad! ahahah

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I would still acclimate them back if you don't want to use money to buy new shrimp. I rushed into shrimping last year. And killed about 59 shrimp in a two month period. Once I started paying more attention to my parameters and keeping them stable mum bombing my tank for more biofilm, my tank stabilized.

Now I have a tank got rid of my neos. And am working on breeding taiwans tibees and mischlings. Time patience and stability are key. As well as learning and listening to advice

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would still acclimate them back if you don't want to use money to buy new shrimp. I rushed into shrimping last year. And killed about 59 shrimp in a two month period. Once I started paying more attention to my parameters and keeping them stable mum bombing my tank for more biofilm, my tank stabilized.

Now I have a tank got rid of my neos. And am working on breeding taiwans tibees and mischlings. Time patience and stability are key. As well as learning and listening to advice
yeah i guess i'll just pull them all, should i just use the water in the tank and put them in a bucket? then do it all over? i didn't think i rushed it, they were living great for a month, feeding, molting and babies, berried and everything looked great. lol, then all of a sudden it was like a bomb went off

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.