1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if you guys heard about the closing of aquarliam.com:(
Store is gone for now
Posted on November 7, 2012 by mordalphus
Due to some medical issues I’m having, and a shrimp market that is far too aggressively priced, I am closing down my store for the time being. I am still breeding shrimp and selling products, but you will have to contact me on The Planted Tank, eBay, or by e-mail (sales at aquarliam dot-com)
Thank you for your support over the years, and I wish the best to everyone. I’ll still be around to help hobbyists with questions asked and I will continue to keep and breed shrimp.
– Liam
Liam will you still be bring in new stuff for us ??? I miss your website already!!!!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Well we didn't lose Liam as he is still around.

The market is saturated with lots of home breeders with lesser quality stock. The truth is, theres more competition on price than quality with only a few of us willing to pay for better color and patterns.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I am more concern of the medical issue that he is having. Hope he is fine.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I am more concern of the medical issue that he is having. Hope he is fine.
+1000!!! Yeah, he was the one who actually got me further into shrimping and introduced me to this site. I sent a few e-mails to him inquiring about some shrimp, but this explains why he never was able to get back to me. I get concerned over acquaintances and friends I have met while shrimping.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I haven't actually been around long enough to witness firsthand this man's awesomeness, but his reputation proceeds him.

I wish you well with your medical issues and hope that one day the market's attitude shifts toward higher quality shrimp as opposed to price. I may have a severely limited budget, but I still buy shrimp not because of their price, but because of their coloration, patterns, and health.

I actually plan on obtaining a large quantity of shrimp soon, assorted species, I hope you'll be around to assist me with that. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm still in the middle of my medical debacle. I have nothing but the worst to say about our medical system in America... Its the best in the world, until you need to use it!

Basically, the insurance I have through my job I have my son on as well, which brought my deductible up to 5000, now i found out this month we switched insurance plans, and I will have to meet the new insurance deductible again. Basically it is a horrible thing to deal with, on top of my symptoms.

That said, the ecommerce software I was using was nice, but expensive. And although my website was getting around 100,000 hits a month, I was making no sales on it. It didnt make sense for me to keep it going just for people to look at ;)

Good news is, I will still be selling some things here on the forums, and will continue to act as the head of Minima Breeder Shirakura in North America, as well as keep my blog (although I'm experiencing problems with my host right now) updated as much as possible.

I'm still breeding shrimp, but until my medical bills are paid (or bankrupcy, whichever comes first haha), i wont be importing more shrimp, the upfront costs are too high, and the market is saturated.
Thanks everyone for your support, feels good to know i have friends here who care about me.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well we didn't lose Liam as he is still around.

The market is saturated with lots of home breeders with lesser quality stock. The truth is, theres more competition on price than quality with only a few of us willing to pay for better color and patterns.
I'm not familiar with him, but I see that a lot of the online (not here) shrimp sellers are way overpriced. Like $40+ shipping for 10 RCS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
He is still here, just not selling bunches at the moment. So all is semi-fine..the first time I felt lost was when he gave me the ID of a shrimp I bought then I went to his website to figure out the price and the website was gone...Was a rare site with helpful info and great shrimp it shall be missed.. Hope all the medical bills get straightened out.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
My job is switching insurance providers as well at the end of the year. This seems to be the trend with this current president.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My job is switching insurance providers as well at the end of the year. This seems to be the trend with this current president.
Watch out, politics are strictly against the rules here. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but you should take out the second part before something bad happens. :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
It's my employer. We always get the cheapest available, every year. Plus we pay 25% of our premiums and 100% for dependants. Been that way for 10 years, its just that the cheapeat insurance is now very bad insurance.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
It's my employer. We always get the cheapest available, every year. Plus we pay 25% of our premiums and 100% for dependants. Been that way for 10 years, its just that the cheapeat insurance is now very bad insurance.
It's amazing how much healthcare costs if something does happen to you. About a month ago I had a shoulder impingement surgery (injured at gym) and they charged my insurance $45k for the procedure. I didn't pay anything but I can't imagine if I did not have insurance or had something that only partially covered the surgery.

I hope it all works out for you so you can 100% focus on shrimp. :):):)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts