The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I wanted to show you that everyone, EVERYONE can screw up, even those who think they know what they're doing in this hobby specifically inverts.

What'd I do?

I had a order of 40 RCS going out today and so last night I rigged up a bottle trap like lots of people do, and left it in overnight. Then when I got up (Later than I wanted to, meant to get up earlier today, set the alarm but staid in bed anyways:angryfire ) I didn't want to leave the shrimp in there because they might get poisoned by amonia. So I was trying to get them into a breather bag to get them all ready for the shipment and get the extras out. But my parrents where yelling at me to hurry up and get down to breakfast so I did hurry, When I shouldn't of. I just dumped them all in tied it loosely and ran down to eat, grab all my crap for school, and go.

While in school I realized I made a MAJOR mistake, almost called home to have it fixed but figured I was just freaking out( every time I ship something I always like go crazy... Did I send enough? Was it the right stuff? was the adress correct????) That's how I usually am, And I knew my mom would be a bit mad at me if I called her in the middle of while I was in school. So I just kinda forgot about it. I went to Lacrosse practice and kept thinking about the shrimp and realized I really screwed up I forgot to take out the food from the bag that I used to bait the shrimp into the bottle.... and it wasn't a small ammount either:icon_mad: .

Here's the result of stupidity everyone and my new desktop to remind me not to rush stuff, especially in this hobby:

That's at least 100 shrimp I think I might of messed up counting, I hit like 107 though. And the worst part isn't loosing $100 worth of shrimp. Its how stupid I am and that they should be going to styxx's and a few other people's tanks swimming around and getting them more into the hobby. And to top it off I was just seriously talking about plans for an invert rack with my dad... :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

Ohh well, I'm probably going to not get the other shrimp I was planning on I'm not sure. I just need time to think I guess, So If I'm not on for a week or a few don't be too surprised.

-Andrew

PS. I really needed to vent, I'm sorry for the long post. Hopefully it's a warning to anyone, DO NOT RUSH. Or you might get screwed.

·
Registered
845 Posts
So sorry. :(

I'm sure you've heard it before.... We're all Human and we make mistakes. Some are more costly than others. Hang in there, it's a lesson learned. I think we've all pretty much had/will have them in this hobby of ours.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Oh, I feel for you. I had something similar happen with some CRS I was taking to a fish store 350 kilometers from here. I'm not totally sure what happened, but I ended up delivering mostly dead shrimp. I did have to keep them in a bucket for almost a day, but I did keep the water well oxygenated. And those things were worth a few dollars each. :(

Life is full of surprises, all we can do is to learn from the past mistakes and try to be better in the future. :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
oh well...these things happen. I completely empathize with Fish Newb and he's a very decent guy and I know for certain that he had the best of intentions. I recall a particularly painful experience with ICH that almost made me quite the hobby altogether so the best thing you can do is learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat them...hang in there, with the way you raise these bad boys I have no doubt you'll be taking my $$ soon enough!!! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
thats really bad dude , i agree that this hobby teaches you that you need a lot of patience , i just started keeping a planted tank and was preparing for 2nd tank , bu t i guess i will wait for a while as there is a lot to learn ...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Oooooooooouch. That's a lot of dead shrimp. COCKTAIL PARTY. Not.

:( I can't believe just some hours with some food will make them expire that easily. Makes me rethink their "roach" reputation.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It happens to everyone at some point. Unfortunately we all have to make a mistake to learn how NOT to do things when dealing with inverts. There are so many unforeseen things that could go wrong that we wont know until it happens. In this case you have learned that rushing is a horrible thing to do, I have also learned that the hard way.

Fortunately for you they were only RCS and not another more expensive species. RCS are rapid breeders and you will have 100 new ones in no time depending on the size of your breeding colony.

I would just let it go and learn from it. Keep up your plans for an invert rack and don't let this measly 100 RCS mistake get in the way of that. Things can always go a lot worse, like some other top breeders have experienced, i.e. all tanks overheating, all inverts dying at once, entire colonies wiped out, you name it.

Hope this helped :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Ever heard of Charley Grimes? He is one of the icons of the hobby, a master breeder and a great guy. There was an article in the most recent TAG that mentioned him giving his (in)famous talk "Dead Fish". He's killed more fish than you or I have ever seen - BUT he's also stuck to it and managed to breed species that are close to impossible.

One time Charley killed off an entire fish room in one strike. He bought hundreds of dollars worth of furniture foam to make sponge filters, only to find out that they treat it with cyanide to prevent mold. Goodbye fishroom - not a soul left.

So yes, it does happen to everybody - even the BEST of the best of us like Charley.

(I've killed off an entire 110 gallon with a CO2 overdose too...)

·
Registered
890 Posts
One time Charley killed off an entire fish room in one strike. He bought hundreds of dollars worth of furniture foam to make sponge filters, only to find out that they treat it with cyanide to prevent mold. Goodbye fishroom - not a soul left.
Wow. That makes a 100 RCS die-off look like a dead guppy. That is horrible. I couldn't imagine how he felt after that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sorry to hear about your "oopsie". Think of it as paying the "stupid tax". We all make stupid mistakes sometimes, but most learn from it.

"The difference between a wise man and a foolish man is, the wise man learns from his mistakes."

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is even sadder then when my Bumble shrimps died. Sorry to hear.
That is a whole lotta dead shrimp. I could have been worse.
To all those people who ask what pets ya have and you answer "pet shrimp" and they say "can ya eat em" well now you can say "you tell me" because those guys look almost done, just throw in a bay leaf or something. Yeah a bit morbid I know...Sorry. I am just sick of people asking me if I can eat my pet shrimp. They are pets! I dont ask that to people who get a new puppy, if I can eat it!!!>!>!
Well, there are tons of RCS and faily afordable. At least it was like some crazy CRS pattern or them yellow shrimps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.