1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a Belkin 6 port kvm at work. It only supports PS2 mouse though. I use my USB laser on my main pc and have a PS2 mouse connected to the switch for the other 3 pc's I use. IT works like a champ. I can double click the control key to switch form one to another.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Any chance you could remote into them over SSH (Unix/Linux/OSX) or Windows Remote Desktop (Windows)? it'll save you having to use a KVM at all - and you can administer them from your desk instead of the server room. Otherwise, any 3 way KVM should do the trick - I tend to use hard switched ones. Auto scanning switches can be kind of a bear sometimes, like if you don't have a video card or the computer is sleeping. Also make sure your keyboard and mouse are PS/2 style before buying any of the ones you showed :)

-Rich

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I go kvm or whatever, how is the video signal trasnferred from the pc to the switch? The cables I see only have one video card connection.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Some have audio switching and some don't. Rich's suggestion about remoting via a software solution of some sort is a good idea. At work I netmeeting to a couple different servers that I utilize. The pc's on my kvm switch are test boxes with different os's and hardware config.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I go kvm or whatever, how is the video signal trasnferred from the pc to the switch? The cables I see only have one video card connection.
I find most KVMs come with cables for input to the switch (usually a number of snakes with 2 ps/2 and a video cable), since male to male VGA cables are kind of hard to source. All you have to do is plug a keyboard, mouse and monitor into them. But yeah remote desktop is soooo much better :)

-Rich

·
Registered
862 Posts
With netmeeting I just call back after the reboot. All cabling necessary should be included with the KVM.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have an 8 port KVM I use at the house. It's a rack mount style like the second one you posted. If I were to replace that today, I would go with the RENDnet TK-1601R Rack Mount KVM Switch.

They work, and they work great. Plus, If you decide to add another server, you wont have to worry about buying another KVM because the one your using is full.

The nice thing about that one, is that it does support optical/laser mouse! It also uses individual ports for each computer. Yes, getting the extra cables is a little more money, but it's worth it. Spend the money get that one!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a crazy question, but does such a device exist to manage computers on multiple floors of a building? I manage a workgroup of 20+ pc's and its a PITA to have to visit each machine locally to do updates, etc.

My initial request was to manage my 3 servers, but I got to thinking.......KVM over IP perhaps?

chaz

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think a software solution would be best for 20+ pc's

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What would you recommend as some options?

As a for-instance, Bob needs an update to his software, or Beth says her printer doesnt function. Rather than down there, either take over the desk top or log in like RDP, altho the first it probably preferred first. Sometimes it could be just a HOW DO I sort of question.

Is perhaps TightVNC or UltraVNC an option?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Why don't you save your money and just use Remote Desktop?

What platform are these servers on? win, linux or mac?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why don't you save your money and just use Remote Desktop?

What platform are these servers on?
Remote desktop forces the user to log out (I beleive) and in some of my work I wouldnt want to do that.

The VNC software packages are free to my knowledge. I dont think it would allow me to log in a restarted computer however. I think I could RDP to do that.

·
Registered
623 Posts
What would you recommend as some options?

As a for-instance, Bob needs an update to his software, or Beth says her printer doesnt function. Rather than down there, either take over the desk top or log in like RDP, altho the first it probably preferred first. Sometimes it could be just a HOW DO I sort of question.

Is perhaps TightVNC or UltraVNC an option?

If you are running a windows server you can easily control and install apps and drivers to any machine on the domain from the server.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are running a windows server you can easily control and install apps and drivers to any machine on the domain from the server.
I am not sure about that. Some of our apps do a roll-out but some do not. That doesnt solve my needs to troubleshoot a pc problem remotely.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I am not sure about that. Some of our apps do a roll-out but some do not. That doesnt solve my needs to troubleshoot a pc problem remotely.
What platforms? All Win?

Use Remote Desktop to remote in to each user computer and diagnose and fix the problem as such. (if win)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Window is the OS. RDP doesnt allow me to capture a session however. For instance, if Bob calls and remote in, it will log him off. I may not want to do that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts