The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I have a dual regulator type ISTA CO2 system. The bottle pressure shows about 60 bar and the working pressure is set to 3 bar, is this optional setting?

2. My CO2 bottle is on the floor, I have installed a needle valve between the out from the CO2 regulator and the bubble counter.
I am having an issue that post a water change when the CO2 comes on, the CO2 tubing pulls out of the diffuser (with a large thud sound).
Its both scary and annoying. Any pointers on how to avoid this issue.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
1. I have a dual regulator type ISTA CO2 system. The bottle pressure shows about 60 bar and the working pressure is set to 3 bar, is this optional setting?

2. My CO2 bottle is on the floor, I have installed a needle valve between the out from the CO2 regulator and the bubble counter.
I am having an issue that post a water change when the CO2 comes on, the CO2 tubing pulls out of the diffuser (with a large thud sound).
Its both scary and annoying. Any pointers on how to avoid this issue.

3 bars is 42.5psi.. a bit high if you have err loose hoses..
I've run my systems up to 50psi w/out a blowout BUT the parts need to be able to handle it..

Set to 2 bar if you can or slightly above, or you need clamps or different "parts"..

Diffuser body made of glass or plastic?
Hose material?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diffuser is an ista ufo type small sized diffuser. The hose is co2 specific silicon tubing that came along with the ista co2 kit.

The working pressure shows 3 bar when the co2 is turned on, once the line is filled in with gas, then the working pressure goes back to 2 bar. I find that is strange.

The working pressure should ideally show the pressure at the gauge and this should not be dependant on whether there is water in the tubing when the co2 injection is off, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
If the diffuser is clogged, it may show this behavior. It is putting back pressure on the system , once the co2 starts flowing thru the diffuser the back pressure lessens a bit.

Has it always done this?

If not try cleaning the diffuser amd see of that helps.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
That's a 12psi pressure differential that your regulator is not regulating. Seems odd to me but my only experiences are w industrial 2 stage regulator.
The disc doesn't create pressure.

Got to think about this a bit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's a 12psi pressure differential that your regulator is not regulating. Seems odd to me but my only experiences are w industrial 2 stage regulator.
The disc doesn't create pressure.

Got to think about this a bit.
Thinking about this as well.

You are technically correct the disc does not create pressure, its acting like a valve. One side will be atmosphere the other side should be your regulated pressure. Probably takes 30psi to get bubbles started. Maybe less to keep them going. That would mean the regulator is drifting the 12psi.

If this is a single stage, is the co2 tank possibly near empty? Whats your co2 tank pressure reading and how warm is the room its in?

·
Registered
305 Posts
If the diffuser is clogged, it may show this behavior. It is putting back pressure on the system , once the co2 starts flowing thru the diffuser the back pressure lessens a bit.

Has it always done this?

Will try this. There is also a long length of tubing between the bubble counter and the diffuser. I will try and get this cut and fit to length.

Thinking about this as well.

You are technically correct the disc does not create pressure, its acting like a valve. One side will be atmosphere the other side should be your regulated pressure. Probably takes 30psi to get bubbles started. Maybe less to keep them going. That would mean the regulator is drifting the 12psi.

If this is a single stage, is the co2 tank possibly near empty? Whats your co2 tank pressure reading and how warm is the room its in?

This regulator has a dual gauge. The tank pressure is at 60 bar.

The room temperature is between 26-27 deg C.

Another observation is that there is tank water gets into the tubing between the diffuser and the bubble counter due to back flow. It does take about 2-3 mins for the flow to push this water back into the diffuser and then the mist starts at the co2 diffuser.

I have a non return valve between the bubble counter and the needle valve output.

For now I am running a 5 min co2 on every 2 hours using the timer socket.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apart from the needle valve there is one valve on the regulator, operating this valve opens the pressure out of the pressurised bottle. But changing this valve position does nothing to the working pressure that is shown on the working pressure gauge. So I am thinking this is a dual gauge single stage regulator.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
Apart from the needle valve there is one valve on the regulator, operating this valve opens the pressure out of the pressurised bottle. But changing this valve position does nothing to the working pressure that is shown on the working pressure gauge. So I am thinking this is a dual gauge single stage regulator.

Yes and it is a fixed output though likely that can be changed if needed.
Under the green cap may be an allen screw. You can drop the outlet pressure by slowly and in little increments (likely turn it counter clockwise BUT that is why you turn it slowly and in little increments, to verify direction).
NOT a normal procedure though and my desc. is not necessarily completely accurate

but most fixed regulators have some such ability.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/...discussion/1228826-co2-regulator-2000psi.html

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the root cause of the issue.

Spot on

Has it always done this?

There was back pressure on the system but it was not because the ceramic disc was clogged. Silly me. This type of diffuser can be opened to aid in cleaning.
When you assemble it back together, need to ensure that the stem in which the tubing is connected on the top side is aligned to one of the perforations on the ceramic disc holder.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
No ...still not err "accurate".
If properly built even w/ zero output at the disc the system shouldn't blow out a hose.

It isn't back pressure, just pressure.

Reactions: sudhirr
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.