The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just set up a tank. Used RO/DI water and a remineralizer. I added baking soda to the water to get to a dKH of 4, and my pH was at 7.2. A day later my dKH is at 0 and pH is at 6.4. Substrate is fluval stratum. No light or plants, doing dark start method. How can I keep my KH at a constant 4? Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
The substrate you’re using is an active substrate and will strip the water column of kh until it has fully saturated, which could take quite a while. If you don’t add kh at all the substrate will buffer to the lower ph you are seeing but will likely slowly raise over time (1-2 years). Most plants like the lower kh if you go that way but make sure your inhabitants can also handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that I wonder about it, do I really need detectable KH if I don't plan on keeping any fish or shrimp?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use RO water as well and don't add KH only GH. Zero KH has been fine for me and at the advice of Dennis Wong (KH article) there's no real advantage to adding KH unless you have livestock that needs it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts