The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2215 has been running for nearly 3 years continuous. Very few issues overall until pretty recently.

I’ve noticed I need surface skimmer daily for about the last 4 months.

I have always cleaned the filter about one time per month.... but lately Even after A really thorough cleaning, and replacing the finest filter sponge I have in there (which is a medium), it seems like there’s still a build up of decaying organics in my tank, that I’m assuming the filter has never had problems with in the past, since This seems to be a new problem.

My filter is set up so the water runs through 3 layers of foam first... 15,20 and 30ppi. Then I have my bio media, which is the eheim pro that came with the filter. It’s always kept my water crystal clear with no surface scum. Then like I mentioned above... the last 4 months or so, There’s surface scum that I end up using a nano skimmer for like 30 min a day, to remove.

I actually used to run the filter with a 100 micron polishing media right before the output, but I removed it thinking it was unnecessary and restricted flow. Stopped using one of those maybe a year ago.

Does the 2215 suffer from any well known issues after a few years? Like do I need to replace an impeller or motor or seal of any sort?

Just wondering if anyone else has run into a similar issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Doesn't sound like it's an issue with the filter itself or anything that replacing parts might improve. If the sponges are truly getting clean enough I'd suspect that your tank is simply producing more detritus and waste than it used to. I found that those polishing pads clogged to quickly to run all the time, and since canisters aren't something I'm keen on opening on a weekly basis I don't use them. An airstone on a powerful pump should take care of surface scum.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d really like to avoid running an airstone all the time.

For the past 4 months I’ve been assuming it was something else with the tank that I needed to sort out. But after several attempts, it’s just been sticking around.

Even did 3 continuous weeks of 2x50% WC every week thinking a more aggressive water change schedule was what I needed.

My most recent attempt, I removed most my plant mass, all algae that was clinging to rocks (which really isn’t much), and all the wood in the tank, and I’m kinda regrowing everything from small cuttings.

My plant growth continues to be and has always been really good, I had full DHG carpets and everything was thriving and healthy.

I had a few episodes of BBA bloom on all the wood. Cleared up on its own completely, then would come back, and go away again. When that BBA would die back the surface scum got really bad, but only for a day or two. I know that some people say BBA can be caused by low flow.

I guess I just recently started thinking maybe it’s a flow rate issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.