The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

40 gallon tank, water params are ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-20ppm. started and cycled 2.5 months ago. low light, lots of low-light fast growing stem plants. Flourish Excel + Flourish comprehensive dosing.

Issue:
Water temperature currently is 32 deg Celcius (90F) for the past 2 weeks due to summer. it was always less than 29 before 2 weeks. Have two air stones, one hob filter and a sump filter return provide surface agitations.
I guess there are tots of dissolved organics as the filter sponge gets dirty in just 2-3 days and needs rinsing.

Fishes started dying one by one every day during the past 1 week. No signs of illness. The fishes look very normal the previous day but, one would be dead the next morning.

Yesterday evening, a neon rainbow appeared darker (dark blue hue in the fins) and today morning it is dead. Today evening, i noticed the swordtail is lethargic and hovers closer to bottom, not sure what would be its fate tomorrow morning.

I guess it could be due to lack of oxygen at night + high water temp?
I believe that stocking level was approx 75% last week (i know its not so easy to calculate this).

One more thing i started doing for the past 2 weeks was dosing additional K2SO4 thrice a week (3ppm potassium per dose).

Pls help me save the remaining fishes. :-(

·
Registered
357 Posts
Get your temp down! Fans blowing across the top help. Turn off lights. Float frozen plastic water bottles in the tank. Frequent cool water changes, be aware of your water chemistry-difference between tank & change water.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
It's possible of the heat. Oxygen is low in hot temperatures. You can try putting a fan at the water surface to increase evaporation. That'll help to cool things down a little. You can throw in ice into the aquarium too in extreme mid-day heat.

Another hardware you can buy is a chiller for the aquarium. You can make one with a little refrigerator.

+1 on turning off the lights.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for suggestions. I have purchased a blower/fan an hour back. This is the only fan that was available nearby. the box says it lowers temperature 3-5 deg celcius. wind power doesnt seem to be as strong as i expected (but not sure).

I'm thinking of mounting it in such a way that it blows directly just in front of the hob filter's outlet where the surface turbulence/flow is maximum. will that be efficient than blowing across the top? sorry, i hav no experience so far in this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
also, please note that none of the fishes are gasping for air near the surface.
one more thing i forgot to mention is that i introduced 6 small new fishes just before all these happened. only one out of 6 is still alive. i drip acclimated for 1 hour and did seachem paraguard dip for 45 mins for the new ones.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's probably the heat. The oxygen content will decrease with increasing temps, but the problem is probably the heat. Not many fish or plants can tolerate those temps. You need to lower the temp. If you don't have air conditioning, you need a chiller on the tank. If you don't have a chiller you'll need to freeze some bottles of water or something and put those in the tank to drop the temp. You'll need to keep an eye on the temp, so it doesn't drop too fast or too much, and also so once the temp is down, it doesn't come back up again and you'll need to do that around the clock, till the ambient temp drops, meaning for the next 6+ months. The fan trick "works" but it's like anding a drop of water in the ocean. Almost no effect. Good luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
swordtail died yesterday evening.

yesterday morning i installed the fan blowing air across the top surface, reduced lighting (3hrs + 3hrs split).
temperature dropped to 29.5 Celcius (85F).
No disasters today morning.

the plan is to connect the fan to the lighting timer, so that it is powered ON only when the lights are ON. Hope this is okay?

i originally suspected that a denison barb (the only new denison that survived last weeks disaster out of 6) killed the fishes, as i have seen him chasing others. So, i separated him for 2 days. i released him into main tank yesterday evening. i hope he is not the murderer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The fan idea is almost useless. It will drop the temp, but only by a small amount. Not worth the bother really. You will need to be much more aggressive to drop the temp to at least 80F. Also the summer hasn't even started yet, it will only get much worse.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All the fishes were fine and no disasters so far.

thanks for suggestions, i shall try to use both:
1. fan
2. daily (or whenever required) place frozen water bottles into return chamber in sump

(i would have been happy if i could get a low cost chiller). Also, yesterday, i have started working on a diy temperature controller that controls the fan to regulate the temperature and to make the temperature increase slower. i already have all the parts, hoping to install it as soon as possible.
plants have started showing signs of 'fatigue' ;-)

·
Registered
357 Posts
All the fishes were fine and no disasters so far.

thanks for suggestions, i shall try to use both:
1. fan
2. daily (or whenever required) place frozen water bottles into return chamber in sump

(i would have been happy if i could get a low cost chiller). Also, yesterday, i have started working on a diy temperature controller that controls the fan to regulate the temperature and to make the temperature increase slower. i already have all the parts, hoping to install it as soon as possible.
plants have started showing signs of 'fatigue' ;-)
Be sure that the water bottles are free of soap residue, old glue from labels, anything that may end up poisoning your fish.
I have dropped water temp 2-3 degrees F in a matter of hours with a fan.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Fans, remove any glass tops or hoods, raise the lights higher off the tank, turn a bulb off, switch to nighttime lighting instead of during the day, ice bottles, turn off tank heater.
The new fish could of made things worse, but 90F starts to cook fish.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The new fish could of made things worse...
secuono, what do you think could have been the issue? fish aggression or some sort of disease that killed all those fishes? i originally suspected fish aggression to be the issue, but not sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts