The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my 3rd and best attempt yet I had good growth in the beginning but slowly went downhill and figured out I was only dosing micros and no macros so I ordered an all in one dry fert and have been using it for 3 days.... In between the time I started the plants and got my all in one was almost 2 month so the plants have grown aloe of algae on the leaves this is when I started

And these are some shots of my algae problems
Return pipe with long strands.... Hard to see tank is kinda cloudy at the moment

This is my most healthy sword.... Covered in thick algae

Crypt covered in dark black stuff

Then finally about 1" of stuff growing off of the leaves of this plant

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I have done today was increase c02 cause my indicator fluid is blue and 3 days ago started new ferts.... 5ML per 40L daily which is 62.5ML daily. I also do large water changes every Friday

·
Registered
237 Posts
I saw your other thread and I can see you've gone through lengths to address. Hopefully you get some help from the more experienced people--I'm not that experienced.

What I do know is that you really do need more plant mass, that's a huge tank. I know you're in Canada and that makes it tough, but I'd really hit the forums here to look for members that may be there.

I started a recent 90g tank and I have swords, plenty of various stems and also added like 7 bunches of cheap temporary anachris to help outcompete algae--seems to be doing a decent job. I'm adding a ton more plants this weekend. All affordable from the buy sell section here.

There's even some common houseplants you may want to look into that you can find easily locally. Remove the dirt, clean and prop over the surface and submerge the roots. I'll be adding a pothos over the weekend. Most of what I have now will be swapped out in the future when the tank's more established.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems I need a bigger co2 bottle to keep up to my tank as well.... Diy paintball consumes a tank in a night.......

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Have to agree with Number 1 you need more plants to compete with the algae.A better way to check your co2 is to take a ph test before the co2 goes on and again after about three or four hours and you should expect approximately a 1 point drop in ph if your getting enough co2,also it looks like you are using pool filter sand or gravel so a few root tabs might help but more important be patient as things will change slowly so what you want is to see a slow but steady improvement.Beautiful tank by the way...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have to agree with Number 1 you need more plants to compete with the algae.A better way to check your co2 is to take a ph test before the co2 goes on and again after about three or four hours and you should expect approximately a 1 point drop in ph if your getting enough co2,also it looks like you are using pool filter sand or gravel so a few root tabs might help but more important be patient as things will change slowly so what you want is to see a slow but steady improvement.Beautiful tank by the way...
I have lots of root tabs in the tank I think my biggest problem was macros but as for the disgusting amounts of algae I don know what to do tank has be up with plants since march... Tank was up for over a year

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Root tabs haven't done anything it has gotten this bad with no macros and just root tabs.... Most of my stems almost stopped growing until I started with the macros

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.