The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
4 out of my 5 orange neocaridina davidi are showing some worrying signs... most of them are not moving much and staying still in same location for a long time. This started about a day ago and still not getting better. There are no visible parasite or any infection on the affected shrimps.

However, my other red and mixed colored shrimp (all neocaridina davidi.) are doing absolutely fine! even the smaller fries are doing well (moving and eating properly). None of the shrimps are new! They have been in the tank for over a month now.

The only recent changes to the tank is i spotted some planaria and started the treatment with fenbendazole (15mg for 60L). I treated the tank 2 days ago and did a 50% water change.

The water parameters are all fine
pH:6.5
KH 120
GH 150
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <20

tankmate: 9 ember tetras and 8 amano shrimps (everyone is doing fine)

Has anyone met similar problem before? I can't really think of any problem with the water since only part of the shrimps population are affected...Only the oranges one seems to be affected too.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Are you using liquid test kits or strips to figure out your parameters?

Are all the shrimp in the same tank or are they in separate tanks?

It could be the Fenbendazole and that can take several months to get out of the aquarium.... think 4-8 months! Some shrimp might be more sensitive to it than others?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using liquid test kits or strips to figure out your parameters?

Are all the shrimp in the same tank or are they in separate tanks?

It could be the Fenbendazole and that can take several months to get out of the aquarium.... think 4-8 months! Some shrimp might be more sensitive to it than others?
I am using test strips for the water parameters

Yes, all the shrimps are in the same tank! That is what confuses me. None of the other colored shrimps seem to be affected and only the orange one are getting slow and lethargic (p.s. I noticed only females are affected among the oranges... but again other red females are just fine...)

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
So... I have about 16 shrimp. and now babies. But my shrimp tend to chill out for a little. I figured this was normal. Once they are grown they should eat a little less? no? I mean people and all my pets eat like crazy as they grow up from fry, puppies, kittens, jivenile chameleons... they all eat like crazy until they are older. then it mellows? could they just be doing this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.