The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
At home I wanted a very light duty full featured unit.
the most for your money, with specials or rebates is;

Lexmark X7350 Color Flatbed All-in-One
$100 at Newegg

or similar models from Lexmark. I got mine including an extra
high capacity color and high capacity black cartridge for only
$150 including tax & shipping. I'm sure there are better
quality and performance models out there, but not with
this many features at that price, and it's about the size
of a shoe box... a tall fat shoe box :icon_roll
Of course, being the critical consumer I am,
I do have some gripes about it, but it's hard
to complain at this price :hihi:

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always had HPs as well, the reviews I have been reading seem to say Canon has the leg up now. Perfect for my new XTi camera! I am replacing an HP all in one thats about 2-3 years old, I keep getting the error message wrong cartridge or insert wrong message, I have replaced the cartridge twice! So its time for a change I think

I just made my first purchase from Newegg, seems like really good prices, got some blank DVDs a card reader and a CF card. Well see how pleased I am when it gets here
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
444 Posts
CNET is always a good one:
Printers - CNET Reviews
CNET is a nice site but remember... they get paid by the manufacturers for some of those reviews. I've got a buddy in TX who works for DELL and says they pay CNET some nice $$ every year.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have always had HPs as well, the reviews I have been reading seem to say Canon has the leg up now. Perfect for my new XTi camera! I am replacing an HP all in one thats about 2-3 years old, I keep getting the error message wrong cartridge or insert wrong message, I have replaced the cartridge twice! So its time for a change I think

I just made my first purchase from Newegg, seems like really good prices, got some blank DVDs a card reader and a CF card. Well see how pleased I am when it gets here
Thanks for the help guys.
I have that HP all in one wireless...the new one. I can't say anything good about it...lol It stinks...the software sucks. It is annoying.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
What is the main use for the printer?

If you are going to use it for your pictures, save your money. Get them done at ritz or something similar....the product is 10k times better, and the price in the long run is much cheaper. Ink jets are completely obsolete, i cannot believe they are still selling photo printers. HAHA Ink jet will not exist in 3 years, not as photo printers anyway. It wont be long before the public figures this out. Photo printers are the scam of the last 3 years.

Plus it would be a shame to waste your great pictures from your great camera on crappy printed paper.

jB

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Snapfish, walmart, ritz, etc....are all printing(developing) pictures for very cheap these days, and they will continue to get cheaper. They method they use is not printing like ink, but actually using real photo paper and developing the pictures with chemicals and all that. You will NEVER NEVER NEVER come close to this with an inkjet.....its impossible. By the time you buy a printer and replace the ink twice, you are in the hundreds of dollars. You could have printed/developed 1,000 pictures at ritz for that price and every single picture from ritz will look better then anything you print on an inkjet.

To take it a step further, inkjets are given away all the time.....with packages and rebates etc. I dont buy ink, i just buy printers and throw them out when they are out of ink. It seems wierd i know....but you can get new printers for less then the price of ink. And who cares how well it prints, that is BS too. Unless you are a company that needs to turn out 30 sheets a second. If i need to print something it is word docs, and it really doesnt matter what type of printer that is. If i need pictures i get them done at ritz or similar, for cheaper in the long run.

When i see a printer on rebate, i by 3 of them for $20 or whatever, and just throw the whole thing out when its out of ink.

jB

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Jason is right on the mark~
Big Scam~

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
cheap printers are just that: cheap. This society loves cheap stuff. Then it breaks and we throw it away and buy another cheapo replacement. Kills me sometimes how things are made now...

Back on topic though: I have an Epson photo printer that I love. Doesn't use the photo inks, but uses dyes instead, pictures last much longer, don't have to worry about smudging them or getting them wet, it won't run. Can't buy the cartridges for it at any stores though, I always have to order them online.

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the head up Jason, I am aware of the printing quality at the store and for a few cents per print it very will may be worth it. But I still like the satisfaction of processing and printing a decent looking print at home. If I want a high quality print I more then likely will send it out to be processed. The printer will also be for papers that I write. I am getting my masters degree so I need a reliable printer. I got a free Dell printer with my laptop, used it twice and tossed it, big piece of crap! It think I will get the Canon MP 600 all in one.

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CNET is a nice site but remember... they get paid by the manufacturers for some of those reviews. I've got a buddy in TX who works for DELL and says they pay CNET some nice $$ every year.
I always speculated that this type of stuff went on! Thanks

Do you think Consumer Reports is the same way?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
CNET is still a good site, you just have to debone the reviews. Coupled with user comments I like the site overall. HP is still hard to beat. I have an 8200 photo printer and love it.

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
I always speculated that this type of stuff went on! Thanks

Do you think Consumer Reports is the same way?
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports does not get paid by any company to review their products. They rely solely on Subscription fees. This is atleast what they claim in the beginning of their magazine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts