The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 (because 1 didn't give enough spread mounted directly on my current tank, so I have both 36" and 24") Current Sat + Pros on my 50g high-tech tank and really like them, but feel that they'd be overkill/overbudget for a 20g long I'm contemplating. Short of figuring out how to elevate the 36" light over my 50g tank and make use of the 24" for the 20g I'd be looking at a new fixture.

Another Sat+ Pro is pretty spendy. The Finnex 24/7 might be an option, but even that seems sort of overkill. Essentially I'd like something that is suitable for growing low light plants with a built-in timer to switch to moonlights at night and back to regular lights in the AM -- with a more budget-minded price-tag (I'm not so concerned about being able to program custom color profiles as long as it's within the plant-specific range). Does this even exist outside of the Current and Finnex models I've already considered?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
MicMol makes a strip light as well as the square one. Very cheap and untried in planted tanks. You would be using only channel 1 as channel 2 is blue. I chickened out asking for a planted tank array and having it imported and bought from the USA vendor.
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/micmol-aqua-air-20w-led-fixture.html

I have the MicMol Aqua Mini Color. It is solidly built, very well thought out design and very stylish. The 3 watt LED do make for interesting light spill when only 'Special' channel [just green/blue/red] but with white and special on no issue.

There are only 4 set points so I put it on a timer to have a night light all night but off during the day. White was too bright as a night light for me but 1% Special was perfect, if you like blue then you could use it.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
I have 2 (because 1 didn't give enough spread mounted directly on my current tank, so I have both 36" and 24") Current Sat + Pros on my 50g high-tech tank and really like them, but feel that they'd be overkill/overbudget for a 20g long I'm contemplating. Short of figuring out how to elevate the 36" light over my 50g tank and make use of the 24" for the 20g I'd be looking at a new fixture.

Another Sat+ Pro is pretty spendy. The Finnex 24/7 might be an option, but even that seems sort of overkill. Essentially I'd like something that is suitable for growing low light plants with a built-in timer to switch to moonlights at night and back to regular lights in the AM -- with a more budget-minded price-tag (I'm not so concerned about being able to program custom color profiles as long as it's within the plant-specific range). Does this even exist outside of the Current and Finnex models I've already considered?
$90 for a 30" Finnex 24/7 is a hard price point to beat w/ a 2 channel controllable fixture..
Keep in mind the lack of flexibility in the program though..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$90 for a 30" Finnex 24/7 is a hard price point to beat w/ a 2 channel controllable fixture..
Keep in mind the lack of flexibility in the program though..
Yeah, I'm starting to think that the best plan would finally figuring out a way to suspend my 36" Planted+ Pro over the 50g. and use the 24" with a 20 long...

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
MicMol makes a strip light as well as the square one. Very cheap and untried in planted tanks. You would be using only channel 1 as channel 2 is blue. I chickened out asking for a planted tank array and having it imported and bought from the USA vendor.
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/micmol-aqua-air-20w-led-fixture.html
40W 60 cm model looks nice.. still.. a bit short.but a lot of power so raising it is a good option..More expensive than 24/7.
Smaller model is slightly cheaper than 24/7..At 30w still "headroom" for over a 20..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.