The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Saturday evening at 7:00 pm we have been without power and it finally came back on last night (Tuesday) at about 8 pm, so it was a 3 day total. We did have generator but it wouldn't run right for the first night and turned of at 1 or 2 am and by then the winds were too great to be going outside to see what was wrong.

The next day it started and ran fine for the rest of the outage but we had that 5 or 6 hour period without any filters running, so far everything seems to be ok. The generator was costing us $40 a day in gas and we had to drive quite a distance to find a gas station with power, so by the end of the 3rd day cash was starting to get tight, plus you are already stressed. Things just aren't normal while using a generator, no microwave, no oven, but we did have AC, but you had to shut it off everytime someone showered because the well pump draws a lot of amps.

Overall not too bad, no high water like Isabel but the poor folks up north took that hit this time and I'm guessing we won't be hearing from them quite yet. I can say that I'm spoiled and I was starting to miss some of the little perks like my internet/cable service.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
We were lucky that our power didn't go out - my sisters went out for about a day tho and she is only a mile away from me. I did get some water in my basement but I always do with heavy rains. I don't have a generator, but I was as prepared as I could possibly be.

Glad you finally got your power back on!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some folks here are still without power after a week, 11 trucks showed up to fix our line in one spot, so 10 trucks are just watching, each with 2 men. Then they went down to the other end of the main road and sat for an hour, we still did have power because they are from out of state, so our power company had to come turn it on.

The point is if the split up and busted their humps, it would have been only 2 days but it's over a week tommorro night after 7 pm for the unlucky few.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The weather was good for a week or a little longer after the hurricane and then it started raining, and raining, but today it's just raining, I read that Mzjinkzd basement is flooded and other folks are having water problems but our house is dry inside and just full of ants. I guess they just have nowhere to go outside that isn't flooded.

For the past three days they were in my livingroom so I set some Terro brand liquid bait traps and the little buggers ate 3 whole traps worth, now they are in my office and I've set the first trap on a window sill so they wouldn't be to close to my keyboard but they are everywhere, and with a solid line 3 wide on the way to the trap. It's gross and I hope this rain stops soon.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
All this rain is definitely a PITA. It made a 20 minute drive w/traffic into 2 hours yesterday when I was taking my son to school. I took 3 alternate routes only to run into roads submerged under 3 ft. of rushing water every time. When I finally find a clear route, of course it's jammed with traffic. It was extremely frustrating. Upper Marlboro turned into the Land O' Lakes! At the intersection of 301 and Rt. 4 there was so much water covering the road the only thing missing was a boat launch. lol I can't wait for this rain to stop....

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Flooding is very bad in the DelMarVa area. I have a few inches of water in my basement but my brother up in PA had to evacuate - he has a full basement full of water and it's now up to the windows on his main floor. At the Hershey Zoo one bison that they didn't evacuate drowned and they shot the other one in the head instead of letting it drown. There have been numerous human deaths related to these floods as well.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is horrible that water can do so much damage and people can lose so much including the ultimate loss.

On a lighter note it's nice to see responses from locals, sometimes I think I've got the only planted tank in MD. but I can see in your profile that both of you guys are going at this thing pretty hard, wendyjo with 1361 since 2009 and tuffgong with 1330 since 2010, man I thought I talked/typed a lot but I'm just a light wieght with only 1913 since 2004. Where are you guys/gals buying your supplies locally.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Ugh - I don't drive other than to go a few blocks for groceries and what have you, so I am stuck with Petco and Petsmart. Luckily I don't need many supplies as my tanks are low tech and low maintenance. My dogs need way more supplies than my fish.

I'm in NoVa.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Oh and I get ants real bad each summer - those little tiny ones - I call them pissants! Terro didn't work and now I have a company come out and deal with them. But I get them bad the moment it warms up.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
We've got pissants on the West coast too. DIY honey and boric acid bait works well. Sure beats fire ants though. During our unusually wet spring, we had gobs more ants than usual. The one saving grace for East coasters was no earthquakes to compensate for your hurricanes, blizzards and hot humid summers. Now you've got no comp at all.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
After this last earthquake, I'll take a hurricane, blizzards, and humidity any day. I'm not sure I could get used to the earth shaking underneath me. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.