The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I got a question on the item I mention on the title.

Reason why cuz' I will make my scape out of egg crates but most of you will know egg crates have 1/2 square inch holes and it will not hold substrate.

So I will need to think of something to cover those big hole but yet water still can go though avoid gas pockets.

Please advise.

Thanks as always.
Bunny

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The floss material we use is polyester so makes sense. The reason I made the suggestion I did is the material is not bio-degradeable and is made for wet applications where air and water transfer are necessary.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

That's sound pretty good !!
But am afraid the "Holes" are way too small so water might take much longer to creep though, also the weed blocker feature might prevent roots going though.

The whole idea for me is to find something that aquarium safe (Won't break down) with holes but Smaller then the egg crate, but not bigger then the substrate.
So roots and water can go under.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
What is your substrate?

Bump: I feel bad I am not answering your question. The hoses we use are vinyl and the floss material is polyester so it should work. If you have to buy it might I suggest this as an idea also http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Plastic-Canvas-Sheets-3pk/38587654. I'm using that stuff as a dividers in an internal canister I'm building. Doesnt rot and it is known to be aquarium safe. The holes are kntting needle size so you should get good drainage, the roots will go through but it is probably to big for sand substrates in the application you are using it. If thats the case then the vinyl polyester may be a better option.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is your substrate?

Bump: I feel bad I am not answering your question. The hoses we use are vinyl and the floss material is polyester so it should work. If you have to buy it might I suggest this as an idea also Black Plastic Canvas Sheets, 3pk - Walmart.com. I'm using that stuff as a dividers in an internal canister I'm building. Doesnt rot and it is known to be aquarium safe. The holes are kntting needle size so you should get good drainage, the roots will go through but it is probably to big for sand substrates in the application you are using it. If thats the case then the vinyl polyester may be a better option.

No worries Mr. Dood. lol. :smile2:
The black plastic canvas sheets pretty much nail on it. I know the other aquascaper here using that and he bought that from Michaels.

Bunny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.