1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
306 Posts
The sand will likely be fine for an aquarium. However, fine sand can be problematic because when it gets stirred up it takes a while to settle. Pool filter sand is good because the sand grains are larger and uniform. I have it in a 55 gallon and just simply falls back down when disturbed. I love that stuff. I got it at a pool supply store called Leslie's.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sand will likely be fine for an aquarium. However, fine sand can be problematic because when it gets stirred up it takes a while to settle. Pool filter sand is good because the sand grains are larger and uniform. I have it in a 55 gallon and just simply falls back down when disturbed. I love that stuff. I got it at a pool supply store called Leslie's.
any way I cant get a bag less than 50lbs?? its like 7$ for that bag!!!!! (atleast online it is)

·
Registered
306 Posts
any way I cant get a bag less than 50lbs?? its like 7$ for that bag!!!!! (atleast online it is)
It looks like Leslie's sells it in 25 pound bags as well, but it's twice as much a 50 pound bag. How big of an aquarium are you putting the sand in? For typical aquariums, a good rule of thumb is 1.5-2.5 pounds of sand per gallon. For my 55 gallon, I put in 100 pounds of sand and it provides about two inches of substrate.

With the sand you showed from Walmart, I'm afraid it's going to be too fine to stay on the bottom. If you can, go check it out. The grain size you're looking for should be like kosher or coarse salt. If it's like regular table salt, I say it's going to be too fine to not be a headache to have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.