The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 125g, I have about 30 platies and my only adult male is looking like he has parasites. What do you guys think? I'm going to move him to an empty tank and treat him with him with api general cure which is all I have right now. I don't know what could cause this other than the fact that I incorrectly dosed my ferts and ended up with 80ppm nitrates (Nitrates lowered now). Could this be what caused the disease? I've dealt with this same disease before and it has never ended well. I also would like to know if I need to treat the other fish and not just the infected one. And if I do need to, what is the best way to treat such a big tank?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Just because a fish is thin doesn't mean that it has parasites. Illness can decrease appetite- it is one of the first indications something is wrong.
I dont see anything wrong with the fish. It looks a bit thin but not severely. Is it eating?

If you suspect internal parasites I would treat the whole tank, however.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just fed them and he ate some, not as much as normal. Just tested parameters and nitrates are 10ppm, nitrites 0ppm and ammonia is .5 ppm and I'm doing a water change right now. Could this cause disease? Also, how should I treat the fish if I don't know what it has?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just fed them and he ate some, not as much as normal. Just tested parameters and nitrates are 10ppm, nitrites 0ppm and ammonia is .5 ppm and I'm doing a water change right now. Could this cause disease? Also, how should I treat the fish if I don't know what it has?
.5 Ammonia is quite toxic .. absolutely is that causing stress which turns into diseases

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
.5 Ammonia is quite toxic .. absolutely is that causing stress which turns into diseases

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It's a good idea to minimize ammonia levels, but I would keep an eye on the other platies to be sure they aren't showing signs of wasting. Medicated foods can help with internal parasites, but they can be difficult to control if your fish are stressed. Low levels of salt can also be beneficial with ailing livebearers if your plants can tolerate it.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Yes, low levels of ammonia can cause stress, which lowers immunity in fish to diseases they would normally keep at bay ( for example, aeromonas is a common bacteria in the aquarium that healthy fish have no issues with.)
Weak fish are especially prone to issues with environmental stress.
Of course, ammonia toxicity can kill even healthy fish if the levels are high enough.
First of all you need to get your water parameters under control. How long has this tank been set up?
Ate you seeing any white feces in affected fish?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Question: what test kit are you using? API test kits have been known to throw false positives for ammonia (0 ppm instead of 0.5 ppm).

Here's my thinking: do more water changes, feed more heavily. If the fish is still losing weight, then you know that it's most likely something internal. Is the fish being outcompeted by other fish? Or is there available food and it's just not eating as fast?

If you don't know what the fish has, the first thing to do, is a water change. That can alleviate toxicity in the water (ex. ammonia, but also anything such as pesticides).

Salt can be helpful. Have you added any fish recently? Noticed any worm like things protruding from fish' anuses?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.