The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 4 red danios in my 27 gallon..and I got a dozen tetras , mollies and 6 more danios in this tank. Did I go overboard? Would this be uncomfortable for the fish?

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd say you are heavily stocked but not necessarily overstocked, depending on what kind of tetras you have.
Good-sized weekly water changes are a must.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say you are heavily stocked but not necessarily overstocked, depending on what kind of tetras you have.
Good-sized weekly water changes are a must.
So would that be 40 percent water changes? I have been doing 30 percent weekly but that was when I had those plants and just 4 danios. Now Do I need to do smaller like 20 to 30 percent water change twice a week or once a week would suffice? TIA

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's not always very accurate but sometimes I use aqadvisor.com to see what it says. It helps to know what kind of tetras you have, too. You have 10 danios, 12 (?type?) tetras, and 12 mollies?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not always very accurate but sometimes I use aqadvisor.com to see what it says. It helps to know what kind of tetras you have, too. You have 10 danios, 12 (?type?) tetras, and 12 mollies?
Red eye tetras 12
mollies 12
and red danios 10

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you have water testing capabilites you could use that as a gauge for your water changes. If the nitrates are still high after a water change, then increase it a bit. If you can, add some plants that are aggressive nitrate eaters. Some hornwort, a few floaters, or even hang a pothos out the back or side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with this! Your parameters will tell you if this is too much (also the behavior of your fish).
Keep track closely for a while, observe your fish and make sure to keep your water quality healthy.
I keep 31 fish in a 29 gallon... mostly small tetras and thus far the fish are happy and the tank can handle the bioload. Also adding fish slowly is key. If you have only been adding 6 or so at a time then you shouldn't expect any real issues. If you've added them all at once then you can expect some bacteria blooms and extra water changes!
If you have water testing capabilites you could use that as a gauge for your water changes. If the nitrates are still high after a water change, then increase it a bit. If you can, add some plants that are aggressive nitrate eaters. Some hornwort, a few floaters, or even hang a pothos out the back or side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts