The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,today i just bought a stainless steel thermometer from MARINA and when i got home and tried it out,the temp in the water was higher than the temp of the room...the temp was 28C in the water but when i took it out it dropped to 25C....is this thing broken or is my water actually warmer than the room temperature?...is that even possible? or have i gotten screwed?!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nop

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and btw...i know its kinda a obvius question for you guys...but note:im only 13...so its not really obvius to me...><

·
Registered
201 Posts
The lighting can/will heat the water a few degrees above room temperature.
There is also some heat produced in filterpumps, fishes/bacterias metabolism etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im using a florescent light...or at least i think it is...my friend from another forum said it was so....ok...its about 8 inches above the aquarium and its open topped

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
While it's possible that the water is warmer than the air temperature, it could also be that the thermometer is not properly calibrated.

The best thing to do is to buy a cheap alcohol filled thermometer and use that to confirm your first thermometer's readings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The best thing to do is to buy a cheap alcohol filled thermometer and use that to confirm your first thermometer's readings.
Personally I usually just run into the kitchen and grab the digital probe themomemeter I use when cooking a roast. Saves a buck and is easier to read.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally I usually just run into the kitchen and grab the digital probe themomemeter I use when cooking a roast. Saves a buck and is easier to read.
i dont think i have a digital probe thermometer...or more like i dont know where it is....so...i have to get another thermometer? :confused:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Brilliant, serioulsy, why haven't I thought of that. I just need to wait until my wife's not home :) .

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Kinda obvious question, but do you have a heater in the tank?
and btw...i know its kinda a obvius question for you guys...but note:im only 13...so its not really obvius to me...><

He was saying his question was obvious, not yours....

My first guess is that the lights are heating up the tank. Lights strong enough for a planted tank will warm up the tank. If the exact same thermometer is reading higher in the tank than in the room, then the tank is warmer than the room.

If the new thermometer is reading higher in the tank than what a different thermometer is reading in the room, you may need to calibrate your thermometer.

Can the thermometer read 0 F? If so, mix up a cup of ice water with a tablespoon of salt, let it set for 5 minutes, and stick the thermometer in. See what it reads and write it down.

Can it read 212F? If so, boil some water, stick the thermometer in and see what it reads. Write it down.

Make a graph in excel where the y axis is the real temperature (0F and 212F) and the x-axis is what your new thermometer read. Now it's calibrated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts