The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't stand looking at the ugly green intake pipes and spray bars. So, I bought installation kits for my two 2236's on a 40 g (total of $80). Against the black background, they are hardly noticeable and that makes the tank look more beautiful.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Exactly why (IMO). The upgrade kits not only work better in the tank but on the rarely needed drain to clean the hoses the priming caps come in handy. Its a way to make even more money on their filters.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I don't know, but it definitely factored in to my decision not to buy Eheims anymore. I know they are good filters, but someone has to take a stand against such an awful choice of colors.

I'm not a huge fan of the light-blue color of the Filstar ones either, but at least those are not an eyesore, for whatever reason.

Green is an AWFUL color for hardware, and they know this, which is why their costly "upgrade" comes in the correct color.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
ummm, use regualr lees ID tubing and a DIY spray bar and intake if you hate green so much, hardly worth it to use a sub par filter because you don't like green parts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ Agreed, replacing them with subpar filters would be dumb. That's why I now use Filstars, which are as good as, if not better than, the green ones... and they're not green!

(win/win situation) :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I do. She's smart, and she's purrrrrrty. LOL, check her out, she's REALLY contemplating the solution to the formula she just worked out... look, she's staring right at the answer to the equation!

(Sigh. It's a good thing that I think I'm funny...)

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
i dunno how you guys hate on eheims. i use them all day every day, in tanks at home, and in tanks i maintain... i guess i'll have to keep the sweet german technology to myself then!

agree to disagree i suppose

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I have a black background and the Rena light blue is pretty bad. I took 1/2" drip irrigation tubing and slit it open and pressed it over the pipes.

SteveU

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that I love the kits, I need to buy a set for a 2217 that I'm running on another tank. Eheim's marketing is brilliant; Once you experience the kit, you cannot use the stock pipe!

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
i dunno how you guys hate on eheims. i use them all day every day, in tanks at home, and in tanks i maintain... i guess i'll have to keep the sweet german technology to myself then!

agree to disagree i suppose

We(I) are not "hating" on Eheims. Just prefer Filstars. It's all in fun. You do have to admit(not sure if you ever owned one),they are great filters(adding some media of course). Besides that, the stock spray bar is black. One less thing to "upgrade"!. Yes, the intake is light blue but, easily changed by DIY if it bothers you. It is a little bit easier on the eyes then the green though. Not to say that Eheim is not. I guess between these 2 brands, it's more of a preference.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
We(I) are not "hating" on Eheims. Just prefer Filstars. It's all in fun. You do have to admit(not sure if you ever owned one),they are great filters(adding some media of course). Besides that, the stock spray bar is black. One less thing to "upgrade"!. Yes, the intake is light blue but, easily changed by DIY if it bothers you. It is a little bit easier on the eyes then the green though. Not to say that Eheim is not. I guess between these 2 brands, it's more of a preference.

fair enough, i'm just surprised that eheim isn't the filter of choice among other hobbyists... maybe its a jersey thing

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.