The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60 x 12 x 12" tank that is rimless. It did have dividers which I removed that were kind of acting like a brace. Will this size be ok being rimless or should I add braces?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
For a tank that size - being long, relatively narrow and shallow, you'd need at least 4mm thickness for safety reasons as per this online app. But I would fill it with water and see how the panes that are 60" long bulge out. In the end you might be better off putting braces on for piece of mind.

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

·
1,983 Posts
They say the height is what determines the thickness of the glass, but when you have that kind of length, it definitely becomes a factor. You'll probably need a brace even on a tank that shallow. But you can always fill it and measure how much of a bow you get. A couple mm is ok, but if you get 1/8"+ I would be hesitant to trust it in the long term.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have the glass for the braces so I might stick them on just to be safe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.