The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in November, against my better judgement, I allowed Petco guppies into the house. They all died within a week. I couldn’t quite identify what the issue was, but they went fast, seemed to have something around their mouths, and also seemed to have discolored patches on their bodies. Lots of looking at diseased fish photos and I still didn’t come to any conclusions.

Anyway, the tank has has no fish in it since then (just shrimp and snails). I would like to use it for fish again, but hate to tear it down and disinfect because it is nicely aged and seems to magically nurse plants back to health when I throw them in there. I don’t want to ruin the magic.

What do you think? I see mixed info online. Some people seem to think with no fish host for that long, any disease is gone. Some disagree. I hate to put in a test fish but I do have some livebearers that I could spare.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
So in November, against my better judgement, I allowed Petco guppies into the house. They all died within a week. I couldn’t quite identify what the issue was, but they went fast, seemed to have something around their mouths, and also seemed to have discolored patches on their bodies. Lots of looking at diseased fish photos and I still didn’t come to any conclusions.

Anyway, the tank has has no fish in it since then (just shrimp and snails). I would like to use it for fish again, but hate to tear it down and disinfect because it is nicely aged and seems to magically nurse plants back to health when I throw them in there. I don’t want to ruin the magic.

What do you think? I see mixed info online. Some people seem to think with no fish host for that long, any disease is gone. Some disagree. I hate to put in a test fish but I do have some livebearers that I could spare.

Thoughts?

Thank you!
As a guess.. most likely this:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was kind of my thought, but it’s always hard to match internet photos to what’s going on in the tank. If it was columnaris, I see a lot of mixed info about whether it’s always present, or whether it’s necessary to nuke the tank. Kind of like the ich debate I guess. Is it always there and only affects vulnerable fish, or is it brought in?

Has anyone had experience using a tank again without disinfecting after having had columnaris in the tank?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you haven‘t had fish in the tank since November you are probably okay. If you are worried though, you could move your snails and shrimp to another tank. Then treat the infected tank with something like Kanaplax which covers fungus and bacteria. I would treat it for no more than the suggested maximum dose. Most plants should be okay if you don’t over do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.