The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 55 Gallon fish tank and I bought some organic potting mixture and some sand and gravel. Now I have been researching and the stories i hear are scary about people loosing their fish, I would like some information about these items; and are they safe for fish?

1) Lambert 100% Organic potting mix

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lambert-50-qt-Potting-Mix-437952/202529193#.UU-x2FeLZws"\

2) Quikrete premium play sand

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-50-lb-Play-Sand-111351/100318476?N=2kjZbogd#.UU-yP1eLZws

3) Sunniland Sunscapes Pea Gravel "Small"

I think this is safe to use i cant find a link ;0

I bought all these yesterday and im a bit confused on how to layer them. I'm open to idea's and need alot of tips so please don't feel afraid to post what you know from experience.

Thank you

1,983 Posts
Dirt first, sand then gravel. Unless you really like the look of gravel, its not necessary. Or the sand. But you'll need more gravel if you go only gravel because there are more areas for the dirt to creep through. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse the sand and gravel before putting it into the tank to avoid serious clouding.

Does the potting mix have any added fertilizers in it? Artificial fets are what you need to be careful of when adding to an aquarium. Usually you're safe with organic fertilizers. Just be sure to put it in the tank, wet it thoroughly, press it down to try to get most trapped air out, then add sand and gravel, then plant and fill.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dirt first, sand then gravel. Unless you really like the look of gravel, its not necessary. Or the sand. But you'll need more gravel if you go only gravel because there are more areas for the dirt to creep through. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse the sand and gravel before putting it into the tank to avoid serious clouding.

Does the potting mix have any added fertilizers in it? Artificial fets are what you need to be careful of when adding to an aquarium. Usually you're safe with organic fertilizers. Just be sure to put it in the tank, wet it thoroughly, press it down to try to get most trapped air out, then add sand and gravel, then plant and fill.
I dont know if the mix has fertilizer in it. How would I be able to check? Also do i rinse the soil also or will it take the nutrients and flush them out ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.