The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave it to a professionals carpenter. I mean its almost finished so asking question like is it strong enough can be little late haha.

Stand is made of plastic laminated MDF, edges also are plastic laminated. I am planning to put a 120x43x40 aquarium on it approx. 55gal/208L. Sides are made of of double 4cm, so sides are 8cms thick. Back is 4cm thick. Horizontal where aquarium will come is 4cm+2cms=6cms thick. Also it has 2 verticals (one more should come where is the red arrow) and each vertical is 4cm thick. When looking at what others keep their aquariums on I would say this is enough, but I never had aquarium this big so any input is more than welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
The mdf should be able to support the tank weight. The only worry I would have is how the pieces are held together. If it is a cam system like ikea uses, which is what the look kinda suggests that would be my only worry. I would make sure that you don't let water pool on the stand at any time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mdf should be able to support the tank weight. The only worry I would have is how the pieces are held together. If it is a cam system like ikea uses, which is what the look kinda suggests that would be my only worry. I would make sure that you don't let water pool on the stand at any time.
I am currently not at home, but as soon as I arrive I will check with the guy who made it what kind of system he used. Yeah I will be extra careful when doing water change, but I have the same board in my kitchen and its heavily abused with water for 5 years and looks good. But I guess my main worry is corners and if there is any water coming inside the board it will be there. Corners are also laminated, but just to be on the safe side I will be extra careful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts