The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know if y'all think this is staghorn algae and how to remedy. I had recently taken out my Eheim surface skimmer and noticed the flow around the tank wasn't very even and I noticed what looks like staghorn algae growing. I had read that staghorn grows in lower co2 and nutrient levels. Co2 is just about always yellow regardless of drop checker location and I dose ei. I will be using a different ei recipe on my next batch as the recipe I made didn't fully dissolve into the solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
If it's grey and long then it's staghorn.

I had it in my tank with high co2 as well. Other things that can trigger it is a low flow with high levels of dissolved organic compounds in the water column.

My first case was so bad that I removed all the plants with the algae (it likes to grow on slow growering plants).

You can use H202 to kill it (it turns pink when it dead), clean you filter (sponges, impeller and hosing), do a big Water change to remove most of the dissolved organics and trim off the infected leaves.

Also increase your flow. Having high levels of Co2 isn't really useful if it's not getting to all regions of the tank.

To get the most accurate readings from your drop checker, place it right near the substrate in an area with the least flow, furthest Away from the diffuser. If your drop checker is green or yellow in that area then I'm sure you have enough co2 everywhere.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Also fluctuations in co2 and ammonia can trigger it's growth.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Staghorn is just like the name Deer stag antlers. That's the shape it takes, with stands branching out like antlers do.
Pic isn't really sharp to be 100% sure, but I am pretty sure that is staghorn.

I have no idea/experience on how to deal with it. Usually hydrogen peroxide or excel spot treating can kill algae. Doesn't solve the main cause though.

James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's grey and long then it's staghorn.

I had it in my tank with high co2 as well. Other things that can trigger it is a low flow with high levels of dissolved organic compounds in the water column.

My first case was so bad that I removed all the plants with the algae (it likes to grow on slow growering plants).

You can use H202 to kill it (it turns pink when it dead), clean you filter (sponges, impeller and hosing), do a big Water change to remove most of the dissolved organics and trim off the infected leaves.

Also increase your flow. Having high levels of Co2 isn't really useful if it's not getting to all regions of the tank.

To get the most accurate readings from your drop checker, place it right near the substrate in an area with the least flow, furthest Away from the diffuser. If your drop checker is green or yellow in that area then I'm sure you have enough co2 everywhere.

Also fluctuations in co2 and ammonia can trigger it's growth.

I had read an algae guide and it was saying exactly what you are about flow and drop checker placement, which is exactly what I did. When I realized my flow was so bad in terms of spread I put the surface skimmer back on and put the drop checker in the least flow section of the tank and it is lime green there. I'll do a more thorough cleaning during my next water change making sure to completely remove as much decayed matter as possible. I'm sure there is more than I think but I have been keeping the tank very clean for a while now. I think this mainly had to do with flow but I'll make sure everything is getting as equal access to nutrients as It can.

Staghorn is just like the name Deer stag antlers. That's the shape it takes, with stands branching out like antlers do.
Pic isn't really sharp to be 100% sure, but I am pretty sure that is staghorn.

I have no idea/experience on how to deal with it. Usually hydrogen peroxide or excel spot treating can kill algae. Doesn't solve the main cause though.

James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide
I think you are right. Thank you both for your responses.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I hate staghorn, it plagued me for 2 months. I did a blackout to kill off alot of the algae, then trimmed EVERYTHING with even the smallest bit of algae, then upped my ferts and photoperiod slightly, and now all I have is GSA

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate staghorn, it plagued me for 2 months. I did a blackout to kill off alot of the algae, then trimmed EVERYTHING with even the smallest bit of algae, then upped my ferts and photoperiod slightly, and now all I have is GSA
Yeah I'm hating it too. I was just looking at the tank and it has spread more and more. Mostly light gray and mostly short but some is dark grey black. I love your last sentence "and now all I have is gsa" lol

You said you increased your photo period, did you do this so plants could maximize growth with the nutrients? My photo period is seven hours total with a 3.5 hour siesta 1/2 way through

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.