The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished laying out a new slate background for my tank. Looks awesome... I do still need to fix it in place with silicone.
Anyways.. My boyfriend went out and got me a tube... He said he looked at every brand, and even the ones recommended to me had mildew resitance, and biomax and such. So he ended up getting what he says is the only one that he could tell was safe.
But when I read the back it said "not for continuous underwater use" Its DPA auto and marine silicone.
Which brand should I go for now. Is there a reliable source (besides the internet) that I can get it from? Or are they just being overly cautious and I can use this one anyways? I would like the slate not to fall.... Or kill my fish...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Every single tube at Home Depot has the "not for use under the water line" clause on the label. I resealed my 135 with GE Silicone I and have had no problems. I think the GE Silicone II has the anti mildew stuff and can mess with your bacteria. You are pretty safe as long as the tube has "100% Silicone" on it.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Any decent fish shop stocks aquarium safe silicone. Some may only keep the small tubes, but they can get the caulking gun size ones.

If you use Amazon, look for aquarium safe silicone you'll get 22 results, of which 8 are silicone sealant and not books.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Petsmart is the nicest fish shop within a reasonable distance... thats how bad the individually owned stores are...
So what I got was safe? Its a 100% and doesnt have and mildew resistance or anything.. It was just the line that said no underwater use that made me question it...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
All silicone says not for use underwater. All of it.

As to if that is safe, I cannot say as I've not used it. I'm an not even convinced that "bioseal" is a real thing. I think it is a natural property that GE markets to make a buck.

If you're a really nervous person, walmart carries aquarium safe silicone in the aquarium/pets section.

This stuff looks to likely be overpriced. If you use it, make sure to let it cure a minimum of 3 days before filling. Longer if you can, since you are going to be having it wedged between two things and won't get as much air flow to cure.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All silicone says not for use underwater. All of it.

As to if that is safe, I cannot say as I've not used it. I'm an not even convinced that "bioseal" is a real thing. I think it is a natural property that GE markets to make a buck.

If you're a really nervous person, walmart carries aquarium safe silicone in the aquarium/pets section.

This stuff looks to likely be overpriced. If you use it, make sure to let it cure a minimum of 3 days before filling. Longer if you can, since you are going to be having it wedged between two things and won't get as much air flow to cure.
Oh good... I didn't know all of it said that... makes me feel alot better..
I'm not super nervous... After the nerve racking experience of sticking super glue in my tank I think I'm ok with a little risk. Lol...
The stuff I got? Or the stuff at walmart? I think the stuff I got was 3 bucks... I gave him a 5 and got 2 dollars back...
I was gonna let it cure for a couple days.. probably a week to be honest. theres not alot of money for this project. So its whenever I pick out my plants and get the money for everything else I need to plant it and such.
Thank you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts