The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Epoxies are inert once cured, but if you wanted to be extra careful, just look on the packages for the one that says it is safe for potable water (WaterWeld, I believe).

Why don't you just use silicone like they used in the instructable? That's what I used to use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they didn't have any silicone at Walmart and we were in a hurry so we couldn't go to our local pet store because we just got back from vacation and had to get our two dogs. So is it safe for my fish and how do I tell if it's cured?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
So is it safe for my fish and how do I tell if it's cured?

Yes, it is safe for your fish once cured. Once cured it is inert (AKA chemically inactive). I don't see how the epoxy would even touch any water in the setup anyways.
I don't have a tube of WaterWeld around me at the moment, but they should list a curing time before using it, probably 24 hours?

The only thing I would be slightly worried about when using an epoxy is the temperature it can reach. The chemical reaction for the formation of epoxies produces a fair bit of heat (it getting warm in your hands means the reaction is going on), but I highly doubt it is warm enough to melt your airline tubing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you drill the hole smaller than the airline tubing, it will seal on its own. No need for silicone or any sealant. I've done it successfully. I also recommend soda bottles for dit co2 setups. I've tried a few kinds and found that they worked best for me. Just some tips from personal experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts