The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.
So don't worry, I am not thinking of just pulling off the brace and expecting it to hold aha :hihi:

First off, to waste no ones time, is there a calculator for the suggested glass thickness for a rimless tank size? I have only found one, but includes using a frame in the calculation.

So the tank is a 57 gallon (30"x 18"x 25"). the glass is 1/4". I was thinking of taking it apart, and cutting down on the height, but keeping the base footprint, to either 12" or 16" preferably. But those are just ideas, but what would be a safer height to make the tank? What would be the max you would suggest?

Thanks guys

Pic is the tank

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i still say add a euro brace just to be safe... i rather be safe then having 30+ gallons of water on the floor, question is... is it worth it? i rather have 1 less thing to worry about...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
i still say add a euro brace just to be safe... i rather be safe then having 30+ gallons of water on the floor, question is... is it worth it? i rather have 1 less thing to worry about...
The OP's question was about what the minimum glass thickness would be, not whether it would be a good idea to do this. I don't think it is ever a good idea to build your own tank, unless it is a nano-tank. As you said, the risk is too great for me to even consider. A euro-brace would certainly reduce the risk.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your input guys :) yeah it was just a thought, I was selling the tank, but just wanted to make sure if I could use it or not for a display. I just didnt like how it is so tall. about the eurobracing, does it have to be wide? I wouldnt mine adding some if only I were able to add my violet pipes. And also Hoppy, I see your from around my area ish, do you know of any glass cutters around?

·
1,983 Posts
If it doesn't have a brace from the factory it doesn't need the trim. The trim is just there to hide less than perfect craftsmanship, not to keep the tank together.

I would leave the bottom frame on. Since its a floating bottom (sides around bottom panel) you will need the bottom frame to support the tank. I have pulled the top trim off several tanks and while not quite as clean looking as a fully rimless tank its still very nice looking and you don't have to rebuild the whole tank and risk breaking a panel in the process.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would there be a way to cut it shorter still while keeping the tank together? cause 25" is too much for me aha

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
thanks for your input guys :) yeah it was just a thought, I was selling the tank, but just wanted to make sure if I could use it or not for a display. I just didnt like how it is so tall. about the eurobracing, does it have to be wide? I wouldnt mine adding some if only I were able to add my violet pipes. And also Hoppy, I see your from around my area ish, do you know of any glass cutters around?
No, I don't know any glass cutters in your area. The only glass cutting place I have used in my area couldn't maintain the dimensional tolerances needed to make a tank. Most glass cutters work to about +/- 1/16", not good enough, and if you need the closer tolerance they grind the edges, adding a lot to the cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts