The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I just got a Hydor mini 15W in the mail to use in my 10G tank. The tank is running a small Aquaclear HOB filter and I was wondering if this was safe to try before I plug it in. If you bend the filter (it is pliable and thin plastic) it slides into the media compartment of the filter. Doing this does cause the filter to touch all parts of the compartment. It says it is "Warm" and safe to touch so I was wondering if this was a safe way to operate this equipment.

I took some pics so you can see what I mean.

Thanks
-Andrew

Disclaimer - At this the heater is not plugged in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It isn't glued in - it fits right into the back of the filter. And the heater is safe for non-submersed use. It won't break if dry and run accidentally.

It is actually inside the media tray so pulling out the tray causes the heater to slide out.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If there is a good flow of water around both sides of the heater it is probably OK, but make sure you keep the filter and the intake clean so the water is always flowing well.
An alternate location would be inside the tank, directly behind/under the flow of water from the filter. You mostly cannot see behind the water fall, and there is good circulation there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.