The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've just set up a 3 gallon marineland contour tank. I have the original clip on lights on as well as a 26W CFL 6400K grow bulb hanging over the tank. I created a dark space in the right corner for the fish by taking a piece of black cardboard and cutting out a small semi circle then glued it to the top of the lid. My question for you is if this is enough light to keep the dwarf hair grass happy? Plant Light Green Water Organism
Hood Automotive lighting Light Gas stove Automotive design

Thanks! -Heidi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Depends what the CFL bulb is housed in but if your creating a dark space for your fish I'm assuming it looks really bright and more thank likely it will be good light, but light is only one thing plants need to grow. It drives growth, without ferts and sometimes co2 (in high light) you'll grow mostly algae because the plants won't have what they need and algae is less demanding.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends what the CFL bulb is housed in but if your creating a dark space for your fish I'm assuming it looks really bright and more thank likely it will be good light, but light is only one thing plants need to grow. It drives growth, without ferts and sometimes co2 (in high light) you'll grow mostly algae because the plants won't have what they need and algae is less demanding.

It's just in a little lamp socket. Nothing too fancy, I've added some aluminum foil around it to redirect the light down. I just bought one of those fluval CO2 mini kits, it should get here on Tuesday . I have some anubias species as well as the dwarf hair grass, what fertilizers would you recommend?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
it should be pretty good light on that size tank. If your running good light and co2 you need all ferts, micro and macro. Many here dose dry since it's less expensive. For your size tank they'll last forever.

There's a member here Nilocg who sells it at very good prices. You could send him a message or look at this listings.

One thing I should mention if you startup and tank with good light and don't have all these things in place, the plants don't grow well and algae sets in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it should be pretty good light on that size tank. If your running good light and co2 you need all ferts, micro and macro. Many here dose dry since it's less expensive. For your size tank they'll last forever.

There's a member here Nilocg who sells it at very good prices. You could send him a message or look at this listings.

One thing I should mention if you startup and tank with good light and don't have all these things in place, the plants don't grow well and algae sets in.

Thank you for the good advice !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.