The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here. A month ago I bought Monte Carlo in tissue culture, but over time the leaves have been becoming longer and growing upwards. I won’t be mad if I was sent the wrong plant, just disappointed since it may not work as well as a carpet, but does seem to spread a little atm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both MC and Pearlweed in my tank, and you're right, that's definitely pearl weed. You can expect it to continue growing upwards...it won't stop until you trim it. My MC carpet got to about 2 inches thick when I left it untrimmed, before the whole thing lifted upwards...which happens when you don't trim, as the bottom MC doesn't receive light, and the root die, and the whole thing just starts to uproot.

MC looks a lot like Dwarf Baby Tears, but when it carpets, it won't be as tight/dense as DBT.

edit* Actually it does also look like Elatine Triandra. Could really be either...if it keeps growing taller and taller, its likely pearl weed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never heard of Elatine Triandra before, does it require any thing special? I have diy co2, dosing with ferts, and light seems bright enough. So far I noticed some stems would grow tall, but stop and the others would catch up to that height, I’m seeing a lot of runners though.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Never heard of Elatine Triandra before, does it require any thing special? I have diy co2, dosing with ferts, and light seems bright enough. So far I noticed some stems would grow tall, but stop and the others would catch up to that height, I’m seeing a lot of runners though.
Not sure if it takes anything special I couldn't keep it attached to my substrate (safe t sorb). I had better luck with glosso/monte carlo. It was pretty neat while I had it though grew really low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.