The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a piece of board to make my tank, stable, and leveled. But it still didnt work. Like it did fix the issue 90% but it was still tipping tiny bit back and forth. So i put a piece of cardboard under it and it fixed the issue like my tank is straight and stable. Is this fine? or when i fill the tank the cardboard will get squished? I need recommendation before i fill

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
No, the cardboard will compress. The rocking is an absolute no no. A little out of level won't cause issues, but a racked tank (not supported evenly on four corners) is asking for a crack.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the cardboard will compress. The rocking is an absolute no no. A little out of level won't cause issues, but a racked tank (not supported evenly on four corners) is asking for a crack.
Recommendation for ansolution?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You're better off putting a foam mat or worst-case a yoga mat under your entire tank to level everything. Wouldn't recommend trying to find balance with anything rigid as your glass will be prone to crack

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't think I would put any kind of mat under a framed tank. As Plinkploop stated, wood shims would be best. If you are going to shim, I'd shim the stand as opposed to the tank itself.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I would find out why the tank is not sitting flush. Check the top of the stand then with the plywood on. Check level both ways in several places. Use a 4 foot level and see if the top of stand or the plywood is not even all around. Hope this makes some sense. I agree about using a mat under the tank. On smaller tanks, 20 gallons and under, I have used the ridged foam board insulating material under a tank. Never had a problem because that size tank won't sink into the foam far enough to cause an issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think I would put any kind of mat under a framed tank. As Plinkploop stated, wood shims would be best. If you are going to shim, I'd shim the stand as opposed to the tank itself.
Where do i put the shims? The stand have leveled feet i can adjust i adjusted that, and still the tank wasnt sitting flush, i suspect its the stand welding its not accurate. What should i do? I cut a piece of board under the tank for stability and still not 100%.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If there's a gap between the bottom frame of the tank and the top of the stand, it's probably ok. Unless it's one of the corners of the bottom frame and the tank itself wobbles on the stand. If it's only the tank stand that wobbles, that should be correctable with shims, unless you floor is really bad and built like a marble. If the tank water is not level, you should be able to correct that by leveling the stand itself.

All that being said, if the frame of the tank itself and the glass is not squared up (test this on a known flat surface), and the tank is over 20 gallons, I'd take it back to the store. Not worth the risk

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same stand. It's the imagitarium brooklyn stand. Did you use the four foam circles that come with it? The four disks will go on the four corners. As long as the corners are resting on the foam pads and are not out of square, you should be ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts