IS this ok for cherry's

30g tank well planted.
ph is 8.0
no2 0
no3 10
kh 300
gh 75
ammonia 0

Now is the ph, kh going to be too high for the cherry's to breed.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The KH looks really really high to me, and the PH is a bit high also, they PREFER Neutral water...

Lets see what others think.

-Andrew

·
Registered
408 Posts
Kunerd, my RCS breed rapidly in a pH of 7.8 and KH of 300+. I think if you do a slow acclimation, you'll be fine. I don't even use a heater and I still get monthly babies. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The KH looks really really high to me, and the PH is a bit high also, they PREFER Neutral water...

Lets see what others think.

-Andrew

That kH reading is not in degrees its in ppm. Divide by 18 to get degrees. Its still high but cherries can be kept in a wide range of conditions.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've had 16 degree kh and 7.8-8.2 ph in my 10 gallon and I've successfully breed them. But it's not a huge colony. They breed buy not the best they could. Maybe its because I don't feed them special foods, or maybe its the water, but they breed well.

Btw, what's the past tense of "breed?" It is just "breed," but pronounced like bread?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thank u for the info. I just hope they do well this will be my 3rd attempt in a year. Past times were in the 10g gallon so I hope the 30 will have better success.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i have always wonder what water flow you need in shrimp tanks, i got an 50g with ehiem 2126. For now i have it on 50% and was wonder if the shrimps prefer low or dont mind high flow?

·
Registered
889 Posts
ok thank u for the info. I just hope they do well this will be my 3rd attempt in a year. Past times were in the 10g gallon so I hope the 30 will have better success.
Well like they say bigger tanks makes room for mistakes. If you make a mistake in a small tank the effect could be lethal and quick as opposed to a mistake in a large tank.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Very off topic, but humidity is actually great for clearing your nose and throat. Well I have this Vicks thing which all it is, is steam and you breath it in. It's not the medicine stuff its like this weird personal steamer. So I actually like my room with its high humidity :-D. I have dry hands it helps too. My father also told me that humidity is good for it. He's a doctor.

Well if you don't have a cold or sore throat or clogged nose then none of this helps :-D.

Pen3, I don't have an Eheim2126 or a 50g, but shrimp prefer mild current. IMO no current is bad because it means very low filtration which shrimp love. But too high current, and the moment they jump to swim, they will be caught by the current. So mild current is best.

And wait... 3rd attempt this year for breeding cherries? Hmm weird. Some fish are dying in my tanks while cherries are flourishing. Something weird in my water :-D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts