The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but it could be possible. They are much bigger and can be more aggressive, especially during feeding times. I've heard that Red-Claw shrimp like to chase Snowball shrimplets around, probably would eat them too if they do catch them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If your glass shrimp = ghost shrimp, then it's well-known that Ghost shrimp will consider smaller shrimp prey and shouldn't be kept with smaller shrimp if you want to maintain their population.

I'd suggest moving the glass shrimp to another tank or feeding them to something larger (a nice puffer perhaps?). Ghost/Glass shrimp are pretty aggressive and overfeeding will likely not compensate to prevent the easy predation of your RCS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Next time I will spend a little more time researching the species before mixing....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually that suggestion that it might be a juvenile Red Claw Macro is a good one to consider. If it is in fact a Macrobrachium species, you really need to separate them immediately b/c your RCS will be gone.

http://www.petshrimp.com/redclawmacro.html

Check out the bottom pic for a juvie and see if that's what you have. Also, from the description:

"These shrimp will, however, eat any small algae eating shrimp or small fish they can get a hold off and even clip off parts of the fins of fish when they are asleep at night. "

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to thank you all for your input. Researching this i have concluded that the shrimp is infact Palaemonetes paludosus. Thank goodness not the redclaw although predation by this species is common as invert1 noted. I believe this was just scaveging by this species (rasetsu noted) but will keep a close eye. My current RCS population is 20+ strong with 3 berried shrimp now. Additionally the tank is heavily planted with mats of glosso and Dwarf baby tears so cover may help. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts