The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again planted tank community.. I hate to be so bothersome lately but I appreciate the feedback I'm getting from you guys with so much more experience than me.

So I have a 46g with:
5 black phantom tetras
5 gold skirt tetras
5 bleeding heart tetras
1 opaline gourami
and 3 zebra danios.

I've done a bit of research over the past few days and I decided to bring in some new additions.

I purchased 11 celestial pearl danios and 3 julli cory catfish. When I introduced them to the tank the cats went right to the bottom and started doing their thing. But the CPDs immediately became targets for ALL of my fish in my tank. All 3 of the tetras and the zebras started chasing the CPDs around, nipping at them. I haven't added new fish for quite a while so I'm wondering if this is natural behaviour for new fish in a tank or if it's just because they're so small (the CPDs are maybe 1.5cm while the smallest of my other fish are 1.5 inches).

I'm afraid I just paid a lot of money (CPDs aren't cheap where I am) for snacks for my other fish, which surprises me because they're all supposed to be peaceful community fish.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it makes much difference but there is a lot of hiding spaces in my tank, and that's there the CPDs are currently taking refuge.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
When you keep any species of schooling fish in too-small a group they can get more aggresive than average for the species.

Plus, CPD are more shy than many fish, and easily become targets.

I would return half your fish and get enough of each species to make a proper school, about 10-12 of one species.

Example:
(1) Opaline Gourami (territorial about the surface, NOT "peaceful community fish")
(12) Bleeding Hearts
(12) Cories
(1-2) Bristlenose Pleco

Separate tank, perhaps 20 gallons:
(12) CPD
(12) Dwarf Cories
(3-5) Otocinclus

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know about the Gourami being a less than friendly fish. He was a purchase when I started my tank and didn't research things very well, so that's something that I'm faulted for. But it's too late to return any fish but the CPDs or the Corys. I've had the above listed fish for a long while now (again, when I didn't research as much and purchased because they looked nice, etc).

I also really don't have the option to start a second tank, due to space and funds, so I guess I'll just see how this plays out. Unfortunately it's my mistakes from a year ago that are keeping me from getting what I'd like out of this tank.

·
Registered
275 Posts
CPD are beautiful fish but unfortunately very shy. It sounds like all the other fish have settled into their territory. I have read where other hobbyist facing this situation will remove all inhabitants from the tank, rescape the tank, and then reintroduce fish thus resetting the territory.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
CPD are beautiful fish but unfortunately very shy. It sounds like all the other fish have settled into their territory. I have read where other hobbyist facing this situation will remove all inhabitants from the tank, rescape the tank, and then reintroduce fish thus resetting the territory.
This can be a definite plus with some fish. It is almost a basic requirement when you want to add a few new fish to an established cichlid tank.
But before I did the major rework of changing up the tank, I would consider waiting and watching the action. It may be too much and you can't wait but on the other hand fish do get used to a new situation and may work it out. Some of that is the terror the move puts on the new fish. They arrive scared, and assume everything is dangerous but they may get over that in a few days.
Some patient waiting may work really good if the new guys are not getting too beat up.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You have some large tetras in that tank and then put fish there that's lucky to get 3/4 of inch full size. This had problems written all over it. I just don't think they were the right fish for that tank.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If it were me, I'd find a way to get rid of everything but keep the celestials with corys and otos only. I've cut heads off with a butcher knife when I was left with no other good options (friends taking them, keeping them alive, etc.) I think it is the best way to kill fish.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bank account doesn't like me but I've set up a second 20g where the CPDs are going to live. Thanks for all your kind advice. We all make mistakes but I am certainly not going to kill fish because of that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Do you know how to safely start up that 20 gallon quickly?

A few things you can do. Take some substrate from your old tank and add it to the new one. Take some filter media from your old filter and use it on the 20. This is called seeding. If you go with the substrate I would pick a spot and remove it down to the bottom, making sure to get all the waste that's accumulated in it. To help with possible shock from water chemistry changes you could fill up half of your 20 with water from your 46.

If you just add water and a filter to your 20 gallon your CPD's likely will not live long as the tank will go through an Ammonia cycle. Using mature filter media and substrate can reduce or prevent this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew enough to put the filter media in but how long do you think that has to be there until it's cycled? I threw my zebra danios in the 20 (they cycled my 46 when I started) so hopefully they help out too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I knew enough to put the filter media in but how long do you think that has to be there until it's cycled? I threw my zebra danios in the 20 (they cycled my 46 when I started) so hopefully they help out too.
That's a good start. You did what you could to speed the process up . The only way to know how long it takes is to test the water. If you don't have your own test kit you can take your sample to a LFS or big box store and they'll test it for you. When you have no detectable nitrate or ammonia your tank has cycled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.