The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the pros out there.... Is this mulm build up on my leaves or something else? I don't think I over feed my fish but who knows? I have to wipe away this stuff everyday and it's driving me crazy!!! I shake it off the leaves to try and get the filter (HOB) to suck it up but by the next day it's there again. Some off it looks formed like mulm but the rest is more like a dust. Thoughts??

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I get the same stuff in my low tech 20H. It's quite heavily planted and stocked with 5 cory cats and a BN pleco, plus a guppy. Filter is a Fluval C4 HOB with the stock foam/poly pad and Matrix replacing the carbon. Substrate is pool sand, with Flourish root tabs. I also dose 2ml of Excel daily and Flourish weekly.

Plants are growing very well with a pair of 8" clamp lights on the Versa-Top running 9W 6500K bulbs. I did have a bout of staghorn/hair algae recently, but that was before Excel. Otherwise, algae is nil.

With that said, this brown stuff drives me NUTS! It makes the water murky and settles down on all the leaves. I can remove it by installing a little Aqueon 10 HOB filter with just a 100 micron poly pad. For some reason the Fluval stock pad just isn't fine enough to filter it out. 24 hours with the added filter and the water is crystal clear and no more brown dust.

I have noticed that over time, as my plants have established themselves, the level of brown "goo" that builds up in the filter is much less (and the brown dust is much more). My theory is the bacteria aren't getting enough to eat and wash out of the filter as they "starve" because the plants are consuming much of the food before the bacteria can get to it.

I have another 20G tank with an Aqueon 20 HOB filter, stock cartridges, that is partially planted with about the same bio-load and light level. I did have a green water problem that UV took care of, but never have any issues with the brown dust and the water is always crystal clear. Since the filtration performance is about equal, my only explanation the theory above.

Chris

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
To me it looks like particulate matter got stuck in a biofilm that formed on the leaf. You might have a particulary stick biofilm forming there or you need to filter the water better like the other members said. This was a problem when I had very small particulate matter escape the substrate from the soil or clay.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay... Currently I have 1 Aquaclear 110 HOB on my tank and 2 powerbeads on either side of the tank to try and keep it off the leaves. Is one HOB not enough???

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Well get some otos, if it's diatoms they'll make a fast meal of it. Other than that you could try adding Purigen or something like that to your HOB. Purigen should be fine enough to capture it if it's mulm or some other organic waste.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More pictures>> HELP

Okay.. I took some more pictures. I really don't think these are diatoms. Anyone ever had anything like this? I am at a loss as to what to do. It's all over!

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
My initial impression that it looks soooo much like dust I get after adding new substrate.

In any case, one quick and cheap thing to try: get any "water clarifier" from your local LFS, should be < $10. Use instruction on the dosage, dump it in, steer the water with your hand to get the "dust" floating, give it 12 hours. Water clarifier are harmless gell that binds the particles together so that they can be picked up and retained by the filter. If the tank looks much cleaner, then clean the filter and move on with your life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just setup a tank and was getting dusty stuff on my plants. Particularly my dwarf hair grass. I found out mine was from the root tabs I was using that partly dissolved and got kicked up by moving the substrate around.

I just buried them deeper and cleaned the affected leaves by siphoning using airline tubing. It went away pretty quick for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had something similar on my plant leaves before I introduced some Ramshorn snails. you may try some snails or do frequent water changes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just an update for me... I removed the stock 2 layer foam/poly fiber pad from my Fluval C3 HOB filter, peeled off the poly pad and replaced it with a 100 micron pad, cut to fit. As expected, this duplicates the results of using the extra Aqueon HOB with just the 100 micron pad installed. Tank water is clear now aside from a very slight haze and no more brown dust on the plants.

Early on in this tank's setup I was running the same filter combo but got sick of cleaning the 100 micron pad almost daily. This was when the rest of the filter was accumulating a lot of brown "goo" all over. Now that there is much less "goo" buildup, the 100 micron pad only needs cleaning on a weekly basis.

Chris

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a good idea with the micron pad. I think I'll run out and get one. I also put some clarity in last night and it seems to be helping things. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I'd just get a finer mechanical filter media. I use fluval polishing pad I think and put it right after the coarse pad. It keeps the water super clear in my tank. Just try to clean it out once a week.

Doesn't look like diatoms IMHO

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If anyone else runs into this out there... I took the advice of several of you to solve this issue. (Thanks very much by the way) This is what I did to fix the issue. Everything looks beautiful now!

Seachems "Clarity" (you could use an equivalent product)
Put in a polishing pad.
Stirred everything up.

I did three rounds of this....

After each round I cleaned off the pad. (It was filthy!)

After the last round was done I cleaned out my HOB (With tank water of course!)

I hope this helps someone else out there!!

Thanks,

Joy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts