The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I started my new 10g planted tank.some gloss dwarf hair grass and soon some mosses. I am sent for 6 s/s+ crs and I plan to have 4-5 cherries on the tank too.now my question is can I also have 2-4 bamboos in there too? They look so interesting with those fans. Also if yes where should I buy em?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Sooner or later, the cherries will out breed the crystals. Mine actually started harassing my crystals for food and I separated them. I know people keep them together but that's in a larger tank where they can both have some room and space. In a smaller tank, the cherries will soon start to out number the crystals, they breed like cockroaches. lol. I'm not sure if the bamboo would get along in that situation as well. I have all my shrimp separated now, so maybe someone with experience in keeping multiple species in a small tank can chime in.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The bamboo shrimp would be fine with either of the other two shrimp. They are well mannered and filter their food rather than compete with the food you would feed these other shrimp. I have never kept RCS and CRS together but the above post makes sense.
I keep my RCS females in one tank, the males in another and when I need kids I put one male in with the females until I see a couple of berried females. Then I move those to another tank until they drop the kids and return the females back to their tank. I sell the kids before they start to breed, so I could keep them with CRS and bamboo, but otherwise I believe what was written in the previous posts to be very likely.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I keep Cherry Shrimps, Amano Shrimps and Bamboo Shrimps in the same tank with no trouble at all but in my setup the only ones who can breed successfully are the Cherries. (The other two need saltwater for the larvae to develop...) I would feel fine keeping them in your tank, but if I were you I would pull groups of both the CRS and the RCS to put in another tank before the population gets too out of control. I think that as long as you do that, keep up with water changes, and be careful about over-feeding you will probably be fine. I would not keep more than maybe 3 Bamboo Shrimps in that size tank though- they will not breed, but I think that more than that would exhaust the available food supply in the water column for the filter feeders. You can supplement the Bamboo Shrimps diet if necessary, but you would end up with a lot of extra food bits in the tank which could adversely affect your water quality. In my tanks I have never seen 'shrimp on shrimp aggression', even where babies are present. The only real concern is keeping your population in check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.