The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this at petsmart and suppose to be a male, it's in the only male tank. I also got 3 females but he's not chasing them, Is this a male? thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kind of blurry, but I would say yes.
The bottom fin looks like it's a male.
It seems long and pointy.
Compare it's bottom fin to your females.
They should have a round fin, and he should have a spiky fin.
Also, females have a dark spot at the end of their bellies, males do not.
He also seems very colorful, although some females also have a bit of color.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good thanks. I don't know why I got males and females, have no idea what to do with the babies. I hate impulse purchase.

·
Registered
109 Posts
At first it's pretty cool to see the whole process of nature at work.
But soon you will see your tank overrun with the pesky things.
If you have big fish, it's a good source of live food.
In my case, I've been giving them away like crazy.

·
Registered
782 Posts
When you put forth effort and have a breeding plan, seems like they aren't with your program, lol.
If you don't want so many, and you have a choice to pick and choose, I'd stick with males only. They are flashier anyway.

-Stef*

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'll let them breed and select a few males after and take the rest to petco. The tank is only 17g with 8 harlequin rasboras and 100 RCS already.

·
Registered
588 Posts
At first it's pretty cool to see the whole process of nature at work.
But soon you will see your tank overrun with the pesky things.
If you have big fish, it's a good source of live food.
In my case, I've been giving them away like crazy.

+1. It's also cool to see what color variations you're able to get especially if you have a mix of colors amongst your guppies, but it won't be long before your guppies overload your tank. I still enjoy having them though for the time being. However, I know there will come a time when I'll have to get rid of most/all of them so that I can keep my bioload stable.

917 Posts
Male.

All females always have a gravid spot no matter what, and no males will ever have anything similar. Don't go by "colorful" vs "bland" as most people do, that's even harder.

Here's a female, notice the gravid spot near her anal fin...

Here's three males, notice there isn't a gravid spot on any of them...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 4 total, checked the one in photo has no spot and definitely a male. Now the other 3 suppose to be females but only 2 has the spot, means the other one is also a male. So 2 males and 2 females, is that ok? The pictured one is about 1-1/2" is he still growing fins?

·
Registered
109 Posts
It will be stressful for the females, as the males will keep harassing them.
Are you sure the other guy is a male?
Is his bottom fin spiky, and not round?
Maybe if it's dark in color, it's just hard to see the gravid spot.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Your boy looks like one of my juvenile Vanilla Cherries.
I would personally take the definite girls back to the store and trade them for definite males that came from the same tank.
You can always get more males at a later date, but I would QT newbies, and guppies do like the company of their own, regardless of sex.

-Stef*

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The other suspected male has no visible gravid spot and the bottom fin is a little spiky. He's over an inch long and has no interest in chasing the others, he's busy looking for food but hangs out with them once in a while. I'll give them time and exchange later if needed, I can easily catch them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The other suspected male has no visible gravid spot and the bottom fin is a little spiky. He's over an inch long and has no interest in chasing the others, he's busy looking for food but hangs out with them once in a while. I'll give them time and exchange later if needed, I can easily catch them.
You can always buy a few more females.
Depends on what you want.
Or just take one male back, and bring another female.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's not a lot of chasing in the tank, I'll leave them alone. When things start getting rough, I'll decide what I really want to do. They doing ok though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts