The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single SANSI light bulb on my 20 gallon long.

The plantings are crypts (balansae, wendtii, and two others I don't remember), an Ozelot sword, and a single tiny brown-red Buce. There's a bunch of Java fern just floating around in the tank because I have nowhere else to put it right now. The Java ferns are really messing with the tanks 'scape though.

The tank doesn't have CO2. It gets some Seachem Flourish once a week, and I added some Seachem Flourish root tabs when I set it up recently.

I'm worried that the SANSI isn't bright enough, especially on the right side of the tank where the wendtii is. Should I consider getting a brighter light?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I have this exact light bulb on on my walstad tank. It is a very bright bulb directly under it. Measuring with my par meter I got 90 ppfd at 18" directly under the light. It decreased dramatically further away from the light and I believe (from memory) it was half power at the 1 foot mark from off center of the light. Either way its quite powerful. I would raise the light up to at least 2 feet from substrate and 2.5 wouldn't be terrible. This will cover more of the tank and still give you good light for undemanding plants.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.