The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,
You might laugh, but I don't actually know if this is java moss (or some other moss) or - does hair algae look like this?

The photo shows a tiny self sustaining glass globe that holds maybe a cup+ of water. I'm holding it in my hand for the photo - you can see my pinky finger bottom right for scale. (very small hands - I'm a woman) In this tank are bladder snails (which I LOVE) - that keep this place free of trouble even in sunlight all day. It contains tiny java ferns that are struggling -- and I THOUGHT they were getting strangled by hair algae but I couldn't get time to deal with it so I left it hoping the snails would eat it. They eat everything else - but - tonight I started looking closer at this growing green mass .... and I said ... oh my gosh ... that a moss ... it's really cute. Am I right though? Oh - the roots you see on the left are from a spider plant that has its roots in the water. The tank has been going for many many months. It just works so well - and initially I was using it to throw some baby java fern in with a couple snails because I couldn't figure out where to put them. Now I actually REALLY like this tiny tank.

Sorry to ramble. Hope you can help me ID this "plant" and that it isn't actually algae.

PS: The baby java ferns had been in a clump in a closed ziploc bag full of water getting indirect sun and NO care whatsoever for 10 years. Not joking. I had no idea that any moss might have been in there back then. I'd once tried growing java moss, but it kept dying. Back then I could grow java ferns great - but killed java moss. Now the moss likes me but the ferns are struggling (well - they're getting choked out - my fault) And I am not sure it was originally true java moss - so it could be a different type.
Water Green Leaf Plant Botany

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
There's definitely java moss in there but I wouldn't rule out hair algae on it, it looks like it might have some. If you can see stringy stuff that's not the rough texture of the moss it's algae. You can pick it off to help the moss out compete and eventually kill what you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah - both? - I hadn't considered that. THANK YOU. That might be why I initially just thought it was all algae. I hadn't looked at it very closely for quite a while. It surprised me when I saw all that texture--which I like.

Just realized something --- the moss started becoming larger and very green like this when I began adding both wonder shell pieces (small broken piece) and ONE DROP of Seachem Flourish Trace daily. Maybe that's why years ago I couldn't grow moss - I didn't use those.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
That's a lot of moss - what a great look that must be. (Algae - my sympathy!) I didn't realize it could be partly out of water like that.
😅 not really, it's my garbage can tank, where I put all my extra cuttings. I've stopped using it for that and the moss took over. It's pretty much the only thing in the tank. I'm tearing it down soon. I don't need it anymore lol. The moss in my 40b is pretty, though, it's spreading all over driftwood and substrate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.