The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

so i noticed 2 dots on one of my rummy nose tetras. I can only see it at certain angles, and it seems to "glisten" at those angles. Is this ick? If it is, how do I treat it? I have read you can raise the water temperature to 86, but I also have cardinal tetras, otos, and shrimp in this tank (and no quarantine tank) and wasn't sure if that temp is okay for them too. thanks!

sorry for the blurry quality I have a hard time having them stay still

Attachments

·
Planted Tanker
5,995 Posts
It appears to be ick or similar parasite. As for treatment, Ive had best results raising temps to ~85 degrees (slowly) along with a heavy dose of fw aquarium salts (also slowly, up to 4-5 tbsp:5 gal)
Im not saying do that now in your current tank, because it will be very hard on plants and who knows what else. A quarantine tank would be your best bet.

If I were you I'd just do a good 50% water change, bump the temp up a couple degrees and hope for the best. The good news is it doesnt look like too severe an outbreak atm.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I agree. Water change and higher temps should cure it. Please remember to lower the temp back to normal afterwards!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts