The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi chinaboy1021,

It is hard to tell from the photo without something in the photograph to give it some scale like a pencil, coin, etc. That said, the leaves look a little large and aren't shaped like the H.c. 'Cuba' I grow.

H.c. 'Cuba' grown emersed in a 4" pot

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Seattle aquarist. Thanks for helping me out in this thread and my which-food-sticks-to-glass thread.

Okay by looking at your photo, what I posted is not hc Cuba. It looks more like monte carlo.

That said I got a question for you. How fast does hc Cuba grow emersed? How long does it take to double in surface area?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi chinaboy1021,

H.c. 'Cuba' grows more slowly than Micranthemum tweediei (previously M. umbrosum 'Monte Carlo'). Last spring I was growing some 'extras' of both species for our local aquarium club. They were both planted at the same time here is what they looked like.

H.c. 'Cuba' and M.u. 'Monte Carlo' planted 2/15/15

This what they looked like on 3/24/15 (sorry a little blurry)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Roy,

If so inclined you can try growing HC hydroponically. There is no slow growth there. A 2"x2" square turns into am 18"x24" mat in 3.5 weeks.

And it requires no humid environment. 70% humidity (normal room) is fine.

--Nikolay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.