The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, recently i planted hairgrass and several rotala hra.

After a week planting them, i got this translucent algea. Most of them are like short white hairy, and sometimes there are some like a molten shrimp shell. At first i thought my shrimps were molting but it's not possible to have a 4-6 this algea with only 2 shrimp in it overnight...

It looks like this attached to hg

So far i only tried to manually remove them by carefully pulling from the leaves. I tried to up my co2 intake, to see how it fares. And so far it works but very slow progress.

Been wondering what kind of algea is this? Should i be concerned when my hg is newly planted? I've been meaning to add nerite (horn snail), maybe 2 of them but afraid that my hg were disturbed while the snails doing their business

Ooh, but my rotala hra does not seem to be infected by this algea, maybe because it was on the back of my aquarium?? Please advise on how to (is it possible?) to prevent them from showing up in my aquarium

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Looks like hair/ thread algae. I usually spot treat with excel and manually remove (turkey basters work great once its dead). I think, since you said dialing in your co2 helped, that if you just stay the course with removal you shouldn't have a problem. It might just be that the plants are still adjusting to your tanks parameters and became susceptible to algae because of that. Good luck!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like hair/ thread algae. I usually spot treat with excel and manually remove (turkey basters work great once its dead). I think, since you said dialing in your co2 helped, that if you just stay the course with removal you shouldn't have a problem. It might just be that the plants are still adjusting to your tanks parameters and became susceptible to algae because of that. Good luck!!
Glad to hear that. What is the sign of this algea when its dead? Any color changes or maybe something else?

This one? Any sound advise on how to add to the tank? I mean should i use baster to infected area only or is it safe to dose it to the water column?

I guess i can stop panicking hahahaha. Btw, I'm not using solenoid at the moment since i spent most of my money this month. But is it okay to move the diffuser to an empty bucket when i turn lf the light or just leave it 24 hours, but dial down the bps when it is supposed to be off?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I usually use a dropper and douse the affected area thouroughly, wait for an hour and siphon it up and use my fingers to wipe off what I can't siphon then do a water change. This is a quote from my hubby- I don't deal with the mechanical side, he does- "get a solenoid as soon as you can but until then dial down/ add air overnight"... Take it with a grain of salt, hopefully others will chime in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually use a dropper and douse the affected area thouroughly, wait for an hour and siphon it up and use my fingers to wipe off what I can't siphon then do a water change. This is a quote from my hubby- I don't deal with the mechanical side, he does- "get a solenoid as soon as you can but until then dial down/ add air overnight"... Take it with a grain of salt, hopefully others will chime in.
wow, that fast if use excel, never tried one but i'll get one asap if things got out of hand. thanks so much for this! i think i will add aerator at night instead of dialing down and up again the next morning hahaha

cheers!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You are getting this algae because of an inadequate amount of co2 with the amount of light you are providing. It shows up on hair grass because hair grass grows much more slowly and is easily susceptible to it when you have this unbalanced environment in your tank. Turn your light down and get better control of your carbon dioxide input. If you don’t make adjustments you’re going to see it on your other plants eventually too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are getting this algae because of an inadequate amount of co2 with the amount of light you are providing. It shows up on hair grass because hair grass grows much more slowly and is easily susceptible to it when you have this unbalanced environment in your tank. Turn your light down and get better control of your carbon dioxide input. If you don’t make adjustments you’re going to see it on your other plants eventually too.
Yes sir!

Going to dial down the light to only 6 hours from 8 and dialing up the co2 intake as well and see how it goes for the next 2 weeks. For the time being i will be removing them manually

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yes sir!

Going to dial down the light to only 6 hours from 8 and dialing up the co2 intake as well and see how it goes for the next 2 weeks. For the time being i will be removing them manually
Awesome, how about the light intensity though? Changing duration can have some change, but the intensity is more of the issue here.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
Glad to hear that. What is the sign of this algea when its dead? Any color changes or maybe something else?

This one? Any sound advise on how to add to the tank? I mean should i use baster to infected area only or is it safe to dose it to the water column?

I guess i can stop panicking hahahaha. Btw, I'm not using solenoid at the moment since i spent most of my money this month. But is it okay to move the diffuser to an empty bucket when i turn lf the light or just leave it 24 hours, but dial down the bps when it is supposed to be off?
you don't want to run CO2 in the tank at night even with an added air line. They are not inclusive they are exclusive. Meaning the amount of one in the water column doesn't affect the amount of the other in the column. If you leave the CO2 on at night it will build up. Period. If it builds too much you will kill some fish. However you want to manage that is up to you but that is the short and sweet version of CO2 when thinking about the fish.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, how about the light intensity though? Changing duration can have some change, but the intensity is more of the issue here.
You're right...i have few ideas. I'm thinking about sliding the light onto the back of the aquarium to lessen the intensity onbthe carpet plant. Second, maybe i can switch out my light from my smaller tank (it's a clip on 8watt) to bring down the intensity temporarily. Or the last one is to increase the water volume to buffer the light coming from the source

What do you think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.