The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. my Vals have little whiskers.. I took a pic today to see if you all think it's the beginnings of an algae problem.

I posted this in a different forum loc and someone does think it's algae..
I was hoping not since it's not colored per se and seems isolated to the Vals..

Thoughts?

I have pressurized C02 going (Drop checker is almost zoned in)
Just started dosing Ferts a couple days ago (only 2 days of macro nutrients so far)..

75 gal tank
eco complete sub

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If there are any hair Algae experts out there.. let me know if you think this is a problem. Should I remove the Vals? They are the only plant in my tank not doing very well also..

As much as I would hate to pull em out.. replacing them is not a problem if they will infest my tank..

·
Registered
608 Posts
It looks like green string algae. I too am battling this algae on my riccia and dhg. I'm spot treating directly injecting with excel. Although mine continues to spread I might cut my photoperiod to only 6hours.. Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like green string algae. I too am battling this algae on my riccia and dhg. I'm spot treating directly injecting with excel. Although mine continues to spread I might cut my photoperiod to only 6hours.. Good luck!
God I really hope I don't have to cut the photo-period just yet. I have only had the plants in for a week or so.. and Im already seeing growth..

I am really tempted to just yank the Vals and maybe try spot treating like you said... I would need to grab some EXCEL though ..

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368
This has a PAR chart on it for T5 lights. Measure the distance from the bulbs to the sub and you can double what the chart says for the two bulb Coralife two bulb fixture.
Try setting the timer with a mid day break in the light and a total of 7 hrs.
Removing the plant/w the algae doesn't remove the cause of the algae.
The tank may be able to survive that much light if it were heavilly planted...
meaning you can't see the back wall at all. But with less plants than that you need to tone down those lights to be algae free. BTW vals are very sensative to Excel.
Raising the light till it is actually at least 20" above the sub would help but 22-24 would be better. If you plan for the tank to eventually be heavilly planted, at that time you can always lower the light back down.
Unless you have one or more plants which specifically state that high light is required
you have 1.5-2 x the needed light in there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Vals don't usually respond to well to excel. They can be acclimated to it but in general they usually don't do you well. I think riccia will react adversely to excel too but I'm not sure 100 percent on that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did cut them...some I just pulled out of the tank.. the ones I cut are ok.. just not growing very much..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts