The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I think I've out grown the 36 and plan on moving into a open 55 I have. Lucked up on a Craigslist deal and scored a few things, one being a 48 inch t5 fixture. Problem was it was set up with saltwater blues and all. ** point being I was only able to get 2x 10k and 2x5k tubes. Will that mixture kind of average out in the middle there of a happy 7500k? Or am I being too optimistic in my assumption. It does look nice and bright in there lol. Have a few tester plants and overflow for now, definitely not done, no judging :) so good on the 10k/5k light or should I bite the bullet and order up 6700s from the good Chinese people on eBay?

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5k bulb a grow max type one with deep reds?

Personally i think 10k and 5k blend will work better than regular cools.

I kind of have to agree that it's definitely more pleasing visually IMHO. My only question is will it cause algea headaches down the road or slow growth. The 5k bulbs I picked up at local electrical supply. They are

SYLVANIA FP54/850/HO/ECO Pentron (48 inch, 54 watt, 5000k, t5ho)

No clue what that means honestly lol or of their any good. I know they were 8 bucks and petco wanted 30 a piece for 6700s smh. Now electrical supply told me they can order me the 6500s in same Sylvania line. Kinda live in the sticks here so gotta make due with what we have. Haven't had best luck ordering t5s online. Thanks again for all help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I looked up that tube and it's a commercial energy efficient type bulb meaning it's not going to have a lot of what plants really care about but will make your tank look good to you.

Short answer I say use it and see how things go and if over time you really find things failing to grow then see about swapping it out for a better grow light to compliment the 10k you have in there.

But I'd not swap the 4 bulbs you have right away until you give them a shot...you have enough light with 4 regardless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.