The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is this going to lower my TDS

801 5
So, TDS in my tank is around 270. I use only my tap water, and the TDS of tap is around 240. Is that too high? I've read that it should be about 120...

The tank is Juwel Rio 180, about 180 liters (40 gallons). I dose micro, macro, iron and some KH2PO4. Pressurized CO2 (2 hours before lights on and one hour before lights off ), 130W of T5 8 hours a day.
Do not have the test for other water parameters, they are on their way. Medium planted, with easy or medium demanding plants (ludwigia, lobelia, aromatica, anubias, amazon sword, rottala....). For fish I have pair of angels, couple of cribenzis, some serpei tetras...

Can I lower TDS by using Seachem Prime? And if yes, how fast should I do it, can I just pore the recommended amount after water change, or should I do it gradually? Is it going to be a problem for the fish and plants if the TDS goes down fast?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Where did you hear that? I've only heard that prime raises tds. If only slightly.

I guess a better question is why do you want to lower tds?

270 is not that high. If course if you want to keep caradina shrimp like crystals are bee's than it makes sense to lower tds.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read it on some aquarium forum. Didn't really look in to it that much, and I bought a TDS meter for some other purpose and than so that my TDS is 270. If that is not high I'm not gonna vory about it any more.

But do you still recommend using Seachem Prime with water changes? Is that going to be a big change for the fish and plants if I start using now?

·
Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
No reasons to worry about your TDS - it's not that high.

Prime is tap water conditioner, better then most. Use it as per instructions and find something else to worry about :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
My tds is currently 550 and has been for a few weeks. Plants and fish are doing great.

Normally I try to keep it around 400 but I have no RO water since the nationwide quarantine so very hard tap water is keeping it around 550.

Tank has been up for over 6 months and doing great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.