The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a tiny white fuzzy spot growing on the male gbr in my dad's 75 gal. I think it's fungus and I just wanted to make sure before I do something to treat it.

I've never treated fungus before, so any suggestions or tips would be helpful too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Most of the fungi that grow on fish are actually growing on compromised tissue. Injured from whatever cause, including injury from bacterial infection, damage from fighting, cut on something in the tank... So, if it is true fungus find out why it is there and prevent other fish from getting hurt the same way.

Certain bacterial infections can look a bit like fungi, or there can be both bacteria and fungi going on.

Other things to look into:
Lymphocystis- sort of like a wart- a slow growth of tissue. It may stop, not get any larger. It may spread, but slowly, and the fish can have several spots like that.
Ich- sometimes starts with several Ich organisms in the same spot, or close to each other.

What I would do at this point:
If I thought it really was fungus or bacteria I would catch the fish, try to scrape off the fluff and put 1 drop of hydrogen peroxide on the spot. Then keep it in a quarantine tank for observation and possibly other treatment. I might add something mild like Melafix and Pimafix, or else turn on a UV sterilizer (not both- UV can deactivate some meds).
Next level of care would be actual antibiotics in the water, or food.

Lynphocystis: No cure, not much of a problem, really. If this was a fish intended for breeding I might think twice about it, though.

Ich: Treat the whole tank for Ich.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts