The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, new here. Didn't really know where to post it.
So, I woke up this morning to these small almost thread looking white things hanging off of some driftwood in my 29g tank. The tank is currently in a fishless cycle. Didn't think too much of it, but when I got home from work there was more and some starting clogging the intake on my filter. Is this fungus? I've never dealt with fungus before so I don't really know how to identify it. If so, what could've caused it and how should I treat it? If not, then does anyone know what it is? I attached two images on two different types of bogwood. Thank you in adance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think that's a bacteria. I once used some old filter material that I 'thought' was clean, but even though the material was dry, once wet it became alive with bacteria. That stuff got in my tank and it looked like a spider web all through my tank. Really cool looking stuff. It eats organics in the tank and sucks up oxygen like crazy. So if you had fish you would want to keep a good deal of air in the tank with a bubble wand. Usually causes no harm but looks bad, or in my case, like a Halloween Tank. Clean it off and check your equipment and decor to make sure it is sterile and clean before adding it to the tank in the future. It will suffocate and kill plants if left to grow all over them. A UV light is a great piece of equipment when it comes to this kind of bacterial infestation. I always have a little bit growing here or there in my tanks. Usually on plants and wood. Except in the tank with a UV light. I never get it in that tank, or if I do, (because I added something dirty) the UV takes care of it in a matter of days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply! I'm probably going to go out and buy a UV for my tank here in a little bit. All of this stuff is pretty new in my tank. I'm thinking I might not have washed the driftwood off well enough. The driftwood and plants are new additions from just a few days ago and this didn't start until I added them. Thanks again for your advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the white spidery looking bacteria. I have a co2 canister that baking soda and citric acid activates. I was trying to get the water perfect for fish but this is new and holding me back. How do I know what it is and how to fix it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.