The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My green severum injured himself a few days ago. I’m using melafix to treat, but I’m seeing a lot of white build up on his injuries. Not sure if it’s new growth or if it’s a fungal infection starting. Not sure how he did this, but he has night frights sometimes if I walk by the tank at night so I’m assuming he banged himself up. Here’s a few pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
It looks to me that the fish has been trying to escape from aggression from another fish on several occasions. But, maybe Im wrong.
Regardless, I would say, yes, this is fungus on the fin. Fungus is a by-product of bacteria.

Do you have another tank that you can move this fish into to treat the bacterial/fungal infection?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks to me that the fish has been trying to escape from aggression from another fish on several occasions. But, maybe Im wrong.
Regardless, I would say, yes, this is fungus on the fin. Fungus is a by-product of bacteria.

Do you have another tank that you can move this fish into to treat the bacterial/fungal infection?
I’m not so sure about that. He’s the biggest fish in the tank and is usually pushing around the other cichlids. I’ve never seen him get chased. He’s almost jumped out of the tank several times when I’ve walked past it at night though, so I think that’s more likely.

I do not have another tank I could put him in. I have a 75 that they’re all about to be upgraded to and then I could leave him in the 40, but that won’t be until after I can get substrate for the 75.
I’ve been treating the whole tank with melafix and I’ll go pick up some primafix today unless there’s something better.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Melafix and Primafix wont touch this.
As long as the fish is still eating and acting otherwise normal I would just try really clean water and metheylene blue for treatment. But, if there is any redness on any of the wounds, the fin looks to be rapidly disintegrating, or fish not eating then will need to use an antibiotic.

Do you have any methelyene blue? It is also an active ingredient in Seachem Paraguard or most anti-parasitic medications that treat Ich. Look on back of bottle for active ingredients. I would change at least 25% of water daily in tank and treat with meth blue at rate indicated on back of bottle. Make sure to add back meth blue taken out through water changes. Use for 5 days and re-access fish.
If at any time the fish stops eating, you see redness or inflammation in wounds then switch to antibiotic. My preference would be kanamycin because it works on both internal and external gram negative bacteria. .

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Doesn’t methylene blue kill the beneficial bacteria in the tank and stain everything? Is there anything else that will work?
Seachem Paraguard and most anti-parasitics that are proprietary blends wont stain everything nor kill beneficial bacteria. These all will work on secondary bacteria-fungus. Just look for these active ingredients: methylene blue, malachite green, and acriflavine. Any combination of these will work and are safe with an established biofilter-- over 3 months cycled.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ammonia- 0ppm, Nitrite- 0ppm, Nitrate- 10-20ppm (I can never tell a difference between the colors)
I’m sure the stress of moving the tank 2 days ago and then catching all the fish yesterday has probably weakened his immune system. I mean I just started the new meds last night so maybe I’ll start seeing improvement soon? I just didn’t expect it to get much worse overnight since I added the meds.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Yes, this fish has a secondary bacterial infection - most likely aeromonus bacteria. And, entirely out of the realm of clean water and meth blue possibly making hm/her better.
Make sure to do a 25% water change before each dose of the kanamycin. Any organics in water reduces effectiveness of antibiotic.
Is the fish eating?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
He is still eating. He has a hard time though because he can’t move around very easily due to his fin, and he mostly just wants bloodworms which are hard to keep from flying around the tank. I might try turning off the filter and everything next time so see if that helps him, but he’s definitely eating.

He doesn’t normally get bloodworms this often but it’s the only thing I actually see him eat even when he’s healthy. I assume he scavenges after the other fish eat but I don’t ever see him eat any of the pellets when I feed, but it’s not like he’s skinny or stunted.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
You're going to need very clean water. Make sure there's no carbon in your filter and make sure your filters aren't harboring any debris. Dose only as recommended. Make sure your parameters are stable and that there is nothing in your tank that he can rub against and further injure himself. I've found keeping the temperature on my hospital tanks around 78-80°F helps (no clue why, but it does). I agree with the advice you've received on what to treat him with, just thought I'd add a couple things that have helped me bring some of my babies back from infections.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
There’s no carbon and I’m doing another water change today before the next dose of Kanamycin. There nothing in the tank but gravel. I’ll try turning up the heat a little. I keep it at 77.
When have bacterial infection need to keep the temperature down, actually. Bacterial growth is heat dependent, the higher the heat, the quicker it spreads in tissues.
When bacteria isnt the problem, @Plinkploop is correct, the raise in temperature helps the fish by increasing metabolic rate that helps with increasing appetite, which then allows the fish to gain needed nutrients that help in healing.
Bacterial infections is the one exception.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.