The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am thinking of designing a diy canopy and already have a 15w light fixture

in my new design i want to add a another 15w fixture that gives me 3 watts per gallon is this enough to kep most plants

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Hi lg0815,

A little more information please, how about the dimensions of the aquarium and the type of 15 watt bulbs you are thinking of using?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Apparently you have a 10 gallon tank, and I assume it has a 15 watt incandescent light over it? If so, adding another 15 watt incandenscent light will not provide enough light for plants, but it will make the water get a lot warmer.

If that light has a 15 watt T8 fluorescent light, and you add another one, you probably will have enough light, at least for lower light demanding plants But, if that light has a T5HO 15 watt bulb (I don't know if there is such a size.) you might already have enough light for low light plants.

That's why more information is needed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no pics i have a standard floresent on it with a life glo bulb

i also bought a hagen co2 system(90 percent off was 24.99 paided 2 something) looks like a canister it didnt come with the stabilizaer or activator whats a good mixture

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
18 inch long, T8 fluorescent bulb fixture. Two of those would be 3 watts per gallon of standard T8 fluorescent over a conventionally shaped tank. So, my guess is that this would be moderate light, and with some CO2 you could grow most plants. The Hagen unit can use ordinary sugar water with regular yeast, and would give enough CO2 to have some benefits for a 10 gallon tank, but you now need a diffuser or reactor for that, unless it came with the Hagen ladder device.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts